Finding my SLC 5/03...

showshocka

hello. i have an SLC 5/03 that i am having no luck with gaining an Ethernet connection, i don't know the network address to the PLC. the pwr supply door is not marked like the rest of the PLC's in the plant. my laptop is configured correctly, i can log on to other plant PLC's easily.(because i know the addresses and they are listed in RSlinx)i am also pretty sure that it's not added to the list of devices in the RSlinx network addresses as well. is there a way where i can find out the PLC's network address using some type of windows software tool or some other setting.....

The little plug on a 5/03 is not ethernet. It is DH485, so there is no windows tool to find its node number. If you have a DH485 device connected between the PC and PLC (1747-UIC, or 1747-PIC) then have a driver configured in RSLinx for DH485, it should appear when you browse that driver.

It is possbile to damage your laptop ethernet NIC by connecting to a DH485 port on a SLC, so be careful.

If you have a DH485 device connected between the PC and PLC (1747-UIC, or 1747-PIC) then have a driver configured in RSLinx for DH485, it should appear when you browse that driver.quote]

yes that's what i did. i just wanted to also view it with ethernet connect

Last edited:
To repeat the SLC503 does not have an ethernet port, there is 24volts on 2 of the pins, so you will more than likely damage your computer (these are used to power a 1747-AIC comms module).

As OkiePC says you will need to use either the 1747-PIC if you have a realserialport and Windows XP SP2 or earlier.

If you do not have a real serial port then you will need to use the 1747-UIC and CP13 cable ( it does not have the wires that connect to the 24volt connections of the plug on the SLC503 port)
Do not use a standard ethernet cable as the 24volts from the SLC503 can fry the 1747-UIC.

Alan