NC terminals on Omron CP1L

Weivreif

hi, i dont know if this has been asked before, but searching for just the word "NC" is not allowed.

i was just wondering what are the NC terminals on the omron cp1l do? what are they used for? thanks :oops:

If it is clearly associated with the common of a relay contact then it could mean "normally closed" but the ones I just saw today I believe means "No Connection" - don't put any wire there.

thanks bernie, that just makes me wonder what the functions of those terminals are. i mean they wouldnt put it there for no reason, right?

Many times a common part, like a terminal strip, is used even if there are fewer signals. This prevents a needless variety of parts. You may have noticed the similarity of packages for add-on cards. It would be strange if all used exactly the same number of signals.

It is best if the unused terminals touch no active circuit trace.
But I have seen designs where a no longer used trace lands at the terminal and it would be bad if an incompatible voltage were tied there. The NC could just mean that there is no usable signal there, but it is best to treat it as a command - "THOU SHALT PLACE NO WIRE HERE!"