Advice for Surge Killer Spec

zai_jnr

Dear All,

I'm now working with friction conveyor that have more than 150 units of induction motor 3 phase 415 V 0.12kW.

The motor will ON and OFF by magnetic contactor when there have skid travel along the motor.

Now face problem when the magnetic contactor that ON and OFF for motor running always burn.

I'm just thinking to wiring surge killer to all coil of magnetic contactor ( 24VDC spec ).Is it possible to do this idea? What the best spec need to use for the wiring?

In case, the idea to install surge killer is not good, what the best method i can use to avoid magnetic contactor burn?

If i understand correctly you want to prevent the contactors contacts from burning on a across the line motor starting system times 150 units is this correct?

Surge protection across the coil is to protect the device energizing that coil which in many cases is a plc or some other digital i/o controller.

On accross the line starting the only way to extend contact life from burning is to choose a vacuum contactor because when you break energized contacts there is always a certain amount of arching.

Vacuum contacts may prove cost prohibitive in a application with 150 motors IMHO.

If i understand correctly you want to prevent the contactors contacts from burning on a across the line motor starting system times 150 units is this correct?

Surge protection across the coil is to protect the device energizing that coil which in many cases is a plc or some other digital i/o controller.

On accross the line starting the only way to extend contact life from burning is to choose a vacuum contactor because when you break energized contacts there is always a certain amount of arching.

Vacuum contacts may prove cost prohibitive in a application with 150 motors IMHO.

Vacuum contact ? That mean i need to change each magnetic contactor to vacuum contact spec right? I have 150 units motor, so i have 150units magnetic contactor to change.

Never hear about vacuum contact, can show me the sample please?

At that size go solid state. Siemens and others make small SCR type Digital Contactors suitable for 3PH loads or maybe even a RVSS to take away some of the shock load on the system.

Nick