Fuses

Jesse Raboy

Having a hard time finding fuse blocks rated at460volts. Are fuses really necessary for protection of the drive.Or a thermal magnetic circuit breaker rated for the motor is sufficient. Any options?.

They are usually rated up to 600 volts and are very easy to get at any electrical shop, Grainger, Lowes, Home Depot ect...

You aren't going to find any rated for 460V. Try looking for fuse blocks rated for 600V. I know Buss makes them, as well as Ferraz (now Mersen). The fuses vs. cb for the drives is a loaded question. What is the application? Where is the drive mounted? What kind of regulations must you adhere to (UL, NEC, etc...)

As long as the Fuse Blocks are rated for higher than the Supply Voltage, you are ok. As to whether they are necessary or not, in my opinion, absolutely. A Circuit Breaker can also be used, but as a general rule, Fuses have superior Current Limiting during a Fault.

Stu....