AB. "This program has been protected...

Ned_Flanders

...from user access" - is the message I keep getting from RS500 lite. It is displayed in window where the ladder should be.

I have the original program from the manufacturer of the equipment and they tell me it is NOT password protected!

Can anyone tell me it the message means something else?

If I open "Controller properties" it gives me an option to set a password but I cannot see there is already one there!

What I DON'T want to do is pay the manufacturer to come in, only to find he cannot access the program either!!

Markie,

Can you post the file here?

George

I cannot post the file that I cannot open because the file I upload will not allow me to save! I have what I think is the latest file from the manufacturer - and if i was brave I would clear the memory and download it. The problem is that I am worried the program may have been modified and somebody "Helpfully" password protected the file - if that is what that message means?

I cannot post the file that I cannot open because the file I upload will not allow me to save! I have what I think is the latest file from the manufacturer - and if i was brave I would clear the memory and download it. The problem is that I am worried the program may have been modified and somebody "Helpfully" password protected the file - if that is what that message means?

Zip the .RSS file and post it here. You don't need to open it to post it.

What ver. of RSLigix do you have and the complete catalog number of it?

What processor you you have?

I believe this is your problem. If this isn't checked you will need the matching file to go online.

You may be right! i will check it out.

Mickey. I can upload the program running in the plc but cannot view it or save it. I can, however, zip the RSS file of the program it SHOULD be!

I will post tomorrow as it is Friday PM and "P.O.E.T.S" day in England!!!

You may be right! i will check it out.

Mickey. I can upload the program running in the plc but cannot view it or save it. I can, however, zip the RSS file of the program it SHOULD be!

I will post tomorrow as it is Friday PM and "P.O.E.T.S" day in England!!!

Understood, and this is a holiday ( Birthday ) weekend for us.

If the "Allow Future Access" box is un-checked, that means "Do not allow future access". The default is the Checked state to allow future access.

This is also called the "OEM Lock" feature.

What it means is that the program cannot be uploaded and viewed. Only a user with the current offline Project file can go online and monitor the program.

This is different from the Password feature in the SLC/MicroLogix family. An OEM would be technically truthful if they said the project was not password-protected because it is protected by the OEM Lock, not by a Password. It's equally likely that the OEM Lock was engaged after the machine left their custody.

To properly implement the OEM lock, you must un-check the "Allow Future Access" box and write-protect the Status data file. If this is done, the OEM lock is unbreakable.

It's certainly possible to set the OEM lock inadvertently if you un-check that box and ignore both the label text and the warning.

If the "current copy" of the program in RSLogix 500 is actually the same as the operating program in the controller, then the OEM Lock feature has no effect.

As far as I know, if you cannot open the RSLogix 500 program and perform a "go online" without uploading, then the running copy in the controller is not the same as your offline copy.

Whether or not the differences are significant may only be known to the person who last edited the control program.

If the "Allow Future Access" box is un-checked, that means "Do not allow future access". The default is the Checked state to allow future access.

This is also called the "OEM Lock" feature.

What it means is that the program cannot be uploaded and viewed. Only a user with the current offline Project file can go online and monitor the program.

This is different from the Password feature in the SLC/MicroLogix family. An OEM would be technically truthful if they said the project was not password-protected because it is protected by the OEM Lock, not by a Password. It's equally likely that the OEM Lock was engaged after the machine left their custody.

To properly implement the OEM lock, you must un-check the "Allow Future Access" box and write-protect the Status data file. If this is done, the OEM lock is unbreakable.

It's certainly possible to set the OEM lock inadvertently if you un-check that box and ignore both the label text and the warning.

If the "current copy" of the program in RSLogix 500 is actually the same as the operating program in the controller, then the OEM Lock feature has no effect.

As far as I know, if you cannot open the RSLogix 500 program and perform a "go online" without uploading, then the running copy in the controller is not the same as your offline copy.

Whether or not the differences are significant may only be known to the person who last edited the control program.
Thanks Ken.

The program author has emailed me the RSS file which I can open off line. The "Allow future access" box is unchecked. As far as he can determine, the versions should match (but perhaps they don't?). Now I know about the OEM lock feature, I can phone him again as he could not understand why I could not open the online program.

Believe it or not all I want to do is change two timer values from 10 to 20 seconds!!!!!!!

Who said Siemens was complicated??

Quick solution in a hurry

I have had problems like this before and the quickest solution is to create an hmi screen with numeric input to the timer presets and change them that way. In RSView you only have to test the display to do it. Fix the timer issues and sort the rss file issues out when it isn't so pressing