DataStation and Galil

dash

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone has used the DataStation driver for the Galil motion controllers over Ethernet. If so was there any gottchas or other issues in using it. There is no documentation on the RedLion website, but when I look at the driver inside Crimson it looks very straight forward.

Basically, I need to map some data between EtherNet/IP and the Galil. I have done this before with an IAI (Intelligent Actuator) unit around Christmas 2010 and it worked great. The Galil driver looks similar to what I remember the IAI driver looking like, so I think I feel confident that it will work well. The main worry I have is that the last time (loooooong time ago) I used Galil I had a bad experience and they had a very obscure firmware issue that took a few weeks to figure out a work around. Just don't want to get bit by a weird issue since the debug time for this is minimal.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Darren

I was hoping to use Crimson 3. The last time I used a data station pro was to communicate with an IAI unit and the vendor recommended that the IAI driver was more stable under Crimson 2. I was trying to find out if there were any gotchas with this driver, before getting to deep, but the Galil person I know is unfamiliar with the Red Lion product.

Thanks,

Darren

Also as a note, I called into tech support on this past Friday and the support engineer was unable to find any information beyond what I had found inside Crimson 3, by configuring a protocol conversion between the Galil and a EtherNet/IP slave driver.

Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Darren

Also as a note, I called into tech support on this past Friday and the support engineer was unable to find any information beyond what I had found inside Crimson 3, by configuring a protocol conversion between the Galil and a EtherNet/IP slave driver.

Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Darren

Unfortunately there isn't a configuration guide or similar for this driver. You can look at our info sheet for the yaskawa SMC which is basically the same driver.
http://www.redlion.net/Support/InfoSheet/YaskawaSMC-G3.pdf