Smallest SLC expansion

bluenoser337

I have a full 13-slot SLC5/03 rack and need to add one or 2(max) 16 point 120v AC input cards. What is the most compact, least expensive way to expand. Thanks!

If you have the room you could you replace the 13 slot with a 17 slot rack.

Edit..If you go this route you will need to check the power supply size.

Last edited:
Assuming you've not a communication module in the main chassis to be used as a master for a remote unit, you may only think to another SLC-type chassis (4 slots is the smallest) with an expansion cable and obviously with its Power Supply.

- fuzzy logic

If you have the room you could you replace the 13 slot with a 17 slot rack.

Edit..If you go this route you will need to check the power supply size.

Hi Bob,

I may be wrong but I have not seen a 17 slot for a SLC 500, only the CLX

I have a full 13-slot SLC5/03 rack and need to add one or 2(max) 16 point 120v AC input cards. What is the most compact, least expensive way to expand. Thanks!

Do you have any cards that are 8 point? you could change them to a 16 or a 16 to a 32 point I/O

genius...I do have some 8s and looked at that, but they are isolated outputs. I don't think a 16pt is available in an isolated version. I see there is a 2-slot rack (1746-A2)available. I have never actually seen one of these, and it doesn't appear in the I/O config selections, so I'm thinking it may not be an option. What was the A2 for...anyone know? Thanks!! Happy 4th to the US folks!!

It was the expansion chassis for very old fixed-syle SLC controllers, you cannot use it within your system.

- fuzzy logic

If you need to add then add a A4, then you will have two spares and having two spares will never hurt