Memory Module 1200

snordvikqplas

Supporting Member
I have never used the memory modules on a Micrologix 1200 (any cat number). Equipment is being moved to another location, with the internal EEPROM memory I informed the engineers at the new location that the program on these modules would be fine. (to me it is no big deal to redownload the program, and with the size of the company someone should now how to)

I am being pushed for an exact answer as to how long program will be retained on a 1200. I could easily go out and purchase 20 or so of these modules but with only so much in a budget I wish to no waste money.

I will keep looking on this site/rockwell/other sites etc. If someone has a quick link or answer that would save me some time and money.

Thanks in advance
Stuart

Found documentation to show others that unless there is corruption of the file (ESD, improper installtion ie 240v to the power rail etc...) then the file will be on there forever (or at least for a couple of weeks!) Thanks.

Appreciate the site

MicroLogix 1100/1200/1400/1500 controllers all us a battery-backed RAM with a more or less permanently installed battery.

In general these batteries will hold the program for years at a time. I have never had to replace one and I have some MicroLogix 1500's from eight years ago that spend all their time unpowered yet retain their programs.

The Memory Modules do use EEPROM and will hold a program indefinitely.

ControlLogix are a different beast; memory backup batteries have been a weak spot for them since the beginning and SLC users who were accustomed to years of program retention were surprised when the Logix batteries ran down after only a few weeks. The modern L6x and L7x controllers have a pretty good battery-and-FLASH system for retaining the memory.