Old software/new pc com problems

Alan22

I'm an electrician in an industrial plant and have always had a laptop available to hook up to plc's. Recently I Ebay'd a SLC 5/03, 1747-PIC & used desktop(stand-alone, no network) for a home project. I installed the old RSLogix/RSLinx (ver2.0)I had and can't establish a link on ethernet or serial (com1). There are several things on the web about RSLinx compatibility with Windows XP SP3. The ver2.53 web release from Rockwell won't install on XP. Can someone tell how to make the old work or point me somewhere to get something that will?

When I install 2.53 a window pops up that reads 'not compatible with windows xp'. There is a selection in the menu for installing SP2, but it gives the message 'a newer version has been detected, install halted'

Last edited:
I had and can't establish a link on ethernet

Your SLC5/03 does not have an Ethernet port, the RJ45 port is DH485. DO NOT plug it into an Ethernet post on your computer you may damage it. The port on the SLC5/03 has 24vdc on it.

10-4 on the DH Mickey, I shouldn't have called it ethernet. There's the 1747-PIC box between the pc serial port and plc DH port. I tried serial to serial also, but no luck.

Still no connection. I took some photos of the error messages when opening RS Linx Lite(it is Lite) and driver configurations, but am not able to attach them here w/ the free membership. I'll email'em to ya dmroeder. What I've read on the other thread is to ignore those, so I did; still couldn't get a driver to connect trying many configues w/ both the 1747-PIC and a direct serial cable. Maybe I should just Ebay a 5/04 and use ethernet or bribe our IT guy to come over after work?

FYI the SLC5/04 does not support Ethernet. (only the SCL5/05 does)

Have you tried to default the SLC5/03 by removing it's battery and shorting VBB and GND. See pdf below for how-to. This will set the serial port to DF1 protocol. Then use a null-modem cable to connect to it's serial port with the DF1 driver. Make sure you only have one driver configured at a time.

PM sent Alan.

I 2nd Mickey, default it if you can. Unless the thing is completely FUBAR, I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to make both protocols work.

Using the serial port is often tricky because it's hard to tell when something else is trying to use it. When I talk our service guys through comms issues like you are having, I have them do the following things and it almost always works (as long as there isn't something goofed up with the processor itself):

1) Remove all serial related drivers in Linx
2) Shutdown Linx
3) Go to Device Manager and uninstall the serial port
4) Reboot Window
5) Add driver of choice after reboot. Only one serial related driver (important)

edit: I also want to echo Mickey's comment about the Null-modem cable. This is critical when talking serial, a regular serial cable will not work.

I'll ring out the serial cable to make certain no wires are crossed and try the default tonight. Should I even use the serial cable? I only tried that b/c the 1747-PIC wasn't working.

If I'm working with a 5/03 and I have a choice, I'll always go serial over PIC.

That being said, I'd like you to have success with the PIC so that you know how to use it and know that it works in case you do need it.