Wonderware v. HMI Costs??

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
My (normally highly conservative) boss has suddenly expessed an interest in us supply a Computer with Wonderware with our equipment panel, rather than using a perfectly capable HMI (such as Redlion G3), as we have been doing.

Please, can anyone give me any idea of the price differences (pro & cons) between the two options, as I will be the poor muggins that will have to implement this, if it goes througho_O.

Thanks,

Marc

I have installed both PCs with Wonderware and the Red Lion 15" touch screen on projects within the last eight months. Here is a breakdown on the cost:

Wonderware HMI:
Intouch Development Software 250/500/100 - $4,050.00
Intouch 500 Tag Runtime Software - $2,850.00
Computer Dynamics 15" PC with Touch Screen - $3,148.24

Red Lion G315C000 - $2,842.90

Other "soft" costs include longer time to develop in Wonderware, depending on the complexity of the project; Time having to revisit the equipment for computer issues such as updates, the SMC hanging up for no apparent reason, and computer hardware issues; Future support.

Also, I have not had to touch the Red Lion OIT in six months of running.

Regards

I agree with KP_EENG. I quoted an upgrade for an ancient Wonderware project running on a PC running Windows 3.1. Customer preferred RedLion G315 instead due to less maintenance, free software, and chance to redesign program instead of just a pure upgrade without modifications. However, because the Wonderware system used a DH+ ISA card, I'll have to find a standalone Ethernet or RS485 to DH+ converter which are quite pricey for no aparent reason at all. PLC system is SLC 5/04 with only blue hose DH+, minidin and RS232. Since I cannot modify the PLC, I'm not sure if I can use the RS232 instead.

To DavidRojas:

A little off topic, but the PanelView+ might be a good middle ground as it can be ordered with the comms module you would need.

Back to the main topic, I vote for the Redlion, no fuss no muss.

Wonderware has its useage. When the data is excessive and your needing a historian etc then the Wonder ware is the ticket, but if it is a stand alone machine then odds are the wonderware is overkill.

As for Dave if it has a RS232 then you shouldn't have an issue other than making a cable. Sounds like the 504 has that so connecting to the G3 via RS232 should be no problem.

Clay, perfect. I'll just have to check RS232 cable length maximums or I could find some cheap standalone RS232 to Ethernet converters (I've used some on old Zebra printers before). Now, default RS232 baud on those 5/04 I think is slower than DH+ baud I would imagine. I hope I'm wrong.

A good place to look for converters is B&B Electronics. I use them and they have many flavors. Also check out Red Lion's web page, they have lots of "how to tips for connecting to various PLC's the Slc's being one of them.

Wonderware has its useage. When the data is excessive and your needing a historian etc then the Wonder ware is the ticket, but if it is a stand alone machine then odds are the wonderware is overkill.

I agree with Clay B. The machine that I used the Wonderware HMI on previously used an Industrial PC running propriety control software and I had to interface with a SQL Server database for the recipe functions. In this case, it made sense to go with Wonderware for the stand-alone machine because the Wonderware SQL functions are easy to implement and very powerful. As I mentioned in my previous post we are currently using Wonderware System Platform for our facilities monitoring system which we invested about $30,000.00 for the system, but recently we have purchased Inductive Automation's Ignition software for our production equipment monitoring system and I have to say, so far I am very impressed with Ignition. The price of $9,900.00, as well as, the functionality.

Regards

For simple projects stay away from windows based anything. A smallish project doesnt need to be over complicated by using a scada. As said earlier there is place for scadas but it sounds to me as if your project isnt that place

To follow up on KP_EENG comment on Ignition. For small projects that still need PC based control and no data logging, consider using the free standalone version of Ignition...Vision Panel Edition.