Have any1 tried this?

theripley

Hi,

My boss came across a weird idea on our latest client requirement for centralized monitoring system. So, here's the thing, client has a number of equipment he wishes to monitor the status overtime. Also, he wanted us to create graphical solution for each equipment status (run, stop, alarm).

I proposed plc w/ touchscreen (which is quite expensive in our country). My boss was thinking of using plc linked with a video-out module then connect it to a monitor (pc) to view the graphics.

I have searched, but to no avail. Has anyone encountered this application?

Hi!

You don't mention a particular PLC make, so here we go:

This controller from Beckhoff has video output:
http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?embedded_pc/embedded_pc_series_cx9000_cx9010.htm

Another approach:

Some (all?) controllers from Wago has got built-in webserver.
This one doesn't cost much, and is programmed with CoDeSys.

http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/documentation/750/eng_dat/d07500881000en.pdf

Wago has got more, here's the index:
http://www.wago.com/wagoweb/documentation/index_e.htm

Kalle

You may be better getting your IP enabled PLC to post data to a web server hosting a database ....
Raw TCP packets are relativly easy and built from ASCII text.
Your client could then look at a website, hosted on the same server, which could format the raw data any way you want.
Given that the traffic and resource requirements are so light a simple desktop pc would work fine as a server.
All software is available in free versions you would need:-
Webserver, PHP, Database.
Al

Hello

You didn't mention the type of controllers/HMI's your client has. If the controllers have network cards,an OPC server with DDE converter is a not so expensive way to gather information.
If your HMI's are windows/linux based there is a free solution: install VNC servers in all of them and you can monitor all of them with VNC viewer which is free, you can even watch them on Iphone, Ipad with the proper app for them.

Sorry for not giving enough information.

We are usually using Mitsubishi & Keyence for our automation requirements. For this application, I will be using Keyence's remote I/O's & PLC.

Sir tom,

Archie's post was very interesting, a pc-based hmi using vb express, however it can only be used with AB via serial connection. Is there any other option?

On our computers that are equipped with VB capable HMIs we have configured events that execute SQL writes to a database. For equipment without VB capable HMIs but with PLCs that are capable of e-net communications a program running on a server polls the PLCs and writes the necessary status info via SQL to the database. For equipment without PLCs or equipment where the PLC does not have e-net comms we have a ControlLogix PLC in a four slot rack with two ENBT cards in it. The first ENBT card connects to the plant network. The second connects to an IO network consisting of Beckhoff BK9105 enet adaptors at each line with the needed IO adaptors to monitor the status of the line. Then the software on the server polls that ControlLogix PLC to determine the status of the lines.

Finally, the software creates a web report that can be accessed on any browser on the plant network. Large E-NET enabled LCD monitors (30" and larger) are located at strategic places around the plant and they continuously display the critical status information. Certain critical events issue e-mails, text messages, and/or pages depending on severity.

This was not a canned solution. It required quite a bit of programming on our part from several individuals. Chances are you are going to have to do quite a bit of programming yourselves.

Sorry for not giving enough information.

We are usually using Mitsubishi & Keyence for our automation requirements. For this application, I will be using Keyence's remote I/O's & PLC.

Sir tom,

Archie's post was very interesting, a pc-based hmi using vb express, however it can only be used with AB via serial connection. Is there any other option?

The company Seven Technologies offer a free downsized version of their IGSS scada system. IGSS has been here since 1990, perhaps before that, and we have used it a lot (also the bigger, redundant server versions). They have drivers for most PLCs, also event based if required. Have a look at IGSS "Free50" here:
http://www.7t.dk/products/igss/index.aspx

A lot of tutorials on youtube, search for "IGSS".

Kalle