Message command between two AB PLC 5's running in RSLogix Emulate 5

jarodl

I have two PLC programs running in RSLogix Emulate 5, and I am trying to set up a message command so that one PLC can read data from the other PLC. When I opened the programs in Emulate, I chose address 1 for the first program, and address 2 for the second program, and that's how they are showing up in RSLinx Classic. When I set up the message command in PLC #1, under "This PLC-5", I choose "PLC-5 Typed Read", Data Table Address "N9:6", and Size In Elements "4". Under "Target Device" I choose Data Table Address "N7:31", Local Station Address "2", and "Local".

I am getting an unknown error of 80, and the data isn't transferring. I can see the message command executing once per second in the program, so I know it's running.

I have a feeling my "Target Device" settings are incorrect. Should I have it set to "Local", and should I be using the address (2) that I selected when I opened the program in Emulate?

Welcome to the Forum !

RSEmulate 5 and 500 don't support the MSG instruction.

From RA Knowledgebase Article ID#55723, "What Instructions are not supported in RSEmulate 5 and 500 ?"

MSG, Message

Even though the software provides Data Highway Plus emulation and Channel 0 emulation, the MSG instruction emulates only the enable (.EN) and disable (.DN) bits.When the emulator scans a MSG instruction, the EN bit is set during the first scan, and the DN bit is set during the second scan.If you wish, you may use debug files to emulate the data transfer.

Thanks, Ken. So can you think of any way to transfer data between two emulated PLCs? I am able to read and write data to/from each PLC from FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (using RSLinx Classic and OPC), but I can't think of a way to use that to transfer data automatically between the PLCs.