Uploading Profibus Config Files

dcooper33

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Good evening PLCS.net

Does anyone know how to upload the master config file from a profibus scanner? I have an SST-PFB-PLC5 attached to PLC 5/40. (Actually I have the same set-up on 17 machines)
The dept. "Crash cart" was upgraded recently and somehow the config files were lost in the conversion, so I need to get them all backed up. I have the v2.02 software and user guide, but I can't find anything in it about uploading files, only downloading them. Does the file have to be exported from the scanner in binary? Or can it only be obtained from the scanner's flash drive, and if so, what is the procedure for that?
Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had to work on the profi before, only had to work with the data in the PLC, and the user guide is not very helpful, and I've had a hard time finding other reference material online.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Well in case anyone is interested in the solution, I found out that you have to use Hyperterminal (and shutdown RSLinx to free up the serial port) to establish comms with the scanner and to see stored param's, and to download a config to the scanner. However, if, like in my case, you have a machine with a running config that you don't have backed-up on your PC, then to upload the config, you have to disable the connection in hyperterminal (just disconnecting is fine, you don't need to close the hyperterminal), then in the SST Config Tool, you have to either open an existing config from the hard drive (doesn't matter which, it will be overwritten) or just add any master and slave device to the config window. This should enable you to click the "Connect/Disconnect" button on the toolbar. Then you will get a "Configure Mismatch" dialog box which informs you that your open config doesn't match what's in the scanner, then you can click "yes" to keep the open config, or "no" to upload from the scanner. Select "no" and your config will be overwritten with what's on the scanner.
All of the devices will import, with most of the param's intact. It won't upload user-defined device names, or modified data file word offsets. I had to match these up with the Data files on my PLC program.
Then you can save your changes on your .pfb file, then export the file into a binary (.bss) file.
Now you're ready to download the updated config back to the scanner (I forgot to mention that the PLC must be in PROG mode during this whole procedure) in hyperterminal.
The download process is fairly well covered in the user manual, although they just tell you to start the process by "opening your terminal emulation software", which I totally missed the first time around. I was assuming they meant it could be done from the config tool. Luckily I was able to find out about the Hyperterminal from this forum.

Anyway, hopefully this can help another newbie like me from struggling so much with what should have been an easy file transfer o_O

Cheers 🍻

Hi Dc, I know that your original post was many moons back, but I have a similar issue to the one that you had, and am struggling to find a copy of the programming application called "Local Station Manager".

Just wondering if you are aware of anywhere I would be able to find it (tried the usual places to no avail), or if somehow you could perhaps email it?