RSLogix5000 change to older Firmware?

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have written a PLC program using RSLogix5000 v. 19.11.

But the customer has now requested that I convert it to v. 17.01, which is the version that he has.o_O

Please, can anyone tell me, if this possible, or not??

Thanks

Here from KB technote 33852:

RSLogix 5000 projects can be easily converted forward to a newer version, however there is no direct method to convert backwards. This is because new features, functionality, communication and I/O modules, plus some new controller types could render the project incomplete.

There are a couple of methods you can attempt in order to convert it backward, but there isn't a guarantee they will work...

#1. Using two different sessions of RSLogix 5000, copy and Paste routines and UDTs from one to the other, then export / import tags and descriptions.

#2. Save as L5K format, modify L5K in text editor and attempt to re-import into a previous release.

If you've not experiences with the above, and you've not a TechConnect contract allowing to open the previously indicated technote, post again so that somebody here will help you on the matter.

- fuzzy logic

I think that you need to take the onus off you.
The company you are programming for, needs to pay you for your additional hours.
AB (rockwell) makes their money with techConnect -
You will need to make it clear that going backwards creates other problems.

no guarantee - but this probably isn't a big problem ...

here's more detail on the process (part #2) that fuzzy logic mentioned in his post ... if it works, this is the easiest way to proceed - so try it first ...

use the V19 software to do a "File Save As" and save the file as an L5K file ... (not as an ACD file) ...

then try to open the L5K file using the V17 software ... it probably won't open - BUT - it will usually tell you something like: "Error on line 8 - expecting 2.9" ...

now open the file in Windows Notepad ... count down to line 8 (or whatever) and give the software what it's expecting to see there ... specifically, just change the "2.10" to "2.9" ... save the file ...

now try to open the file with V17 ... cross your fingers - that really does help sometimes ...

unless you've used some kind of "fancy" stuff in V19 that doesn't have a suitable substitute in V17, you'll probably be good to go ...

NOTE: the numbers that I've used above are all EXAMPLES chosen at random ... your numbers will certainly vary ...

let us know how this works out ... I've used the same technique successfully in many cases ...

Last edited:
If the changes were few, He could open up on his computer in the version 17. Make the changes there since you can have multiple version on your computer.

George

sorry - that won't work ... project versions in RSLogix5000 aren't backwardly or forwardly compatible ...

specifically, if something is written in ONE version (example: V19.XX), you can't just open it up in ANOTHER version (example: V17.XX) ...

note: luckily you don't have to worry about the "pocket change" though ... in other words, any Version 17.XX file (for example) can be opened with any other Version 17.XX software - regardless of what the XX numbers are ... (at least THAT part isn't so bad) ...

Last edited:
I missed the fact it was a complete program. I thought if just a few changes. He could of opened the customers program in version 17 and made the changes there. A complete rewrite wouldn't be too cool to do it that way.

George

The biggest question is what hardware are you using? If it is an -L6x series processor you can use V17, if it is a -L7x processor you will need V18 as a minimum.

The major enhancement that Version 19 added was CIP Motion on Ethernet for the 755 series drives.

Ron's method is correct and the actual numbers are listed in the KB technote 33852 reference in the earlier response.

Last edited:
As the others have said, try the .L5K trick to see how that works for you, if it causes problems you'll have to manually copy & paste as others have mentioned. In reality while that is tedious and time consuming, it really shouldn't be too bad to do. Just take some time.

As for who pays for that time, well IMO the very first thing any OEM/Integrator should do before writing any code is confirm with the customer version compatibility. Some customers will say yes we have XXX, others will say do the latest...etc. Ultimately you have to ask the question so you don't get pinned into this corner. If you have something in writing that specifies you can write the code in the version you want, politely ask the customer to pay for your time. If version was not specified and the "onus" is cloudy...keep the customer happy and tell them "no problem".

:)

I have never tried to go backwards with one, but can't you just go into the controller properties, click change controller, then select a different version. As long as you didn't do anything that the older version doesn't know how to use it should work.

I do know that version 18 and 19 are graphically different so this may not work back to 17.

I have never tried to go backwards with one, but can't you just go into the controller properties, click change controller, then select a different version. As long as you didn't do anything that the older version doesn't know how to use it should work.

I do know that version 18 and 19 are graphically different so this may not work back to 17.

Doesn't work. Unfortunatly.

Tried that. But it won't give you the option of the earlier firmwares.

I just had to revert an L23 program to 17 from 18 at customer's request. The L5K thing worked but needed a bit of sleuthing. As suggested in an AB appnote I created a empty but correct hardware 17 program then export that as L5K for a comparison. One thing I needed to change was really buried. But it's ok now.