Help with AB 1769-l32

jbarney

Hey folks,

So, I'm very VERY new to working with PLC's, and I've been given the task of learning to set up a scada system. However, I'm having trouble with my PLC, as it isn't wanting to get an IP address. I've tried running the bootp server that comes with rslinx classic, and I'm not showing a request from the mac address of the plc in question. So, no requests from the plc for an address. Is there something I'm missing on trying to get the PLC to take an IP address? I've tried being connected through the scalance x005 switch, as well as connecting directly through ethernet ports from PLC to my desktop. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jamie

It's not brand new, but there's no documentation on it here, and it doesn't even seem to be trying to use an IP. So, I'm at a loss at trying to figure out what my next step is.

Pulling the battery and removing power will for awhile will reset the Compactlogix, I think. Don't do this if this is an active PLC running a process or anything, this clears the program. Or you could try connecting over the serial port with DF-1.

If the PLC is in the same IP subnet as you the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx may find it automagically for you.

hrm...well, I definitely can't clear the program, as the controller IS in an active process. And I've tried getting into RSLinx Classic, and because I'm running win 7, it doesn't want to start.

Alright, take a little step back.

RSLinx Classic version 2.57 is the only version that is supported for use with Windows 7. If you don't have it, download it from RA's webserver. The "lite" version is free of charge and is all you need for basic RSLogix 5000 work.

Get a serial cable, either the 1756-CP3 that Rockwell sells, or any ordinary cable with a null-modem adapter. You will be able (very likely) to configure a serial driver and "browse through" the CompactLogix controller to monitor and configure the Ethernet configuration.

Which brings up the usual question... does you computer have a serial port ? If not, get a USB/RS232 converter. Around here we very strongly recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS.

If the serial port of the CompactLogix is being used for something else (an HMI, or a radio) we'll go through the basics of sniffing out a controller's IP address using a free Ethernet tool called Wireshark.

Alright, take a little step back.

RSLinx Classic version 2.57 is the only version that is supported for use with Windows 7. If you don't have it, download it from RA's webserver. The "lite" version is free of charge and is all you need for basic RSLogix 5000 work.

Get a serial cable, either the 1756-CP3 that Rockwell sells, or any ordinary cable with a null-modem adapter. You will be able (very likely) to configure a serial driver and "browse through" the CompactLogix controller to monitor and configure the Ethernet configuration.

Which brings up the usual question... does you computer have a serial port ? If not, get a USB/RS232 converter. Around here we very strongly recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS.

If the serial port of the CompactLogix is being used for something else (an HMI, or a radio) we'll go through the basics of sniffing out a controller's IP address using a free Ethernet tool called Wireshark.

Ok, I'll try downloading the newest RSLinx. and as far as the serial questions, no, my computer doesn't have a serial port, although I do have a usb/rs232 adapter. However, the serial port is in use by an HMI.

While you are downloading, then, go ahead and download the appropriate Win7-compatible release of Wireshark from wireshark.org.

What we're going to do is watch for "Gratuitous ARP" packets from the CompactLogix controller, so we can determine what IP address it is using.

Is the Ethernet switch connected to an enterprise network for your facility ? Sometimes it's easier to disconnect a logic controller from that network so you're not fighting multiple DHCP servers, etc.

Ok. I've got those set to download, but I'm going to have to go. The Mrs. gets upset if dinner is held up too long. And yes, a network is going here, though I can unplug the network to jack into the ab component directly if need be. And thanks for helping, I'll check back on here as soon as I can.

ok, so I've been running wireshark, and I've left the bootp server up while doing all of this, and I'm not seeing many arp packets... Guess I might have to see about taking the hmi out of the loop for a little while and try going in via serial connection, unless someone has any other ideas to check?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

ok, so I've been running wireshark, and I've left the bootp server up while doing all of this, and I'm not seeing many arp packets... Guess I might have to see about taking the hmi out of the loop for a little while and try going in via serial connection, unless someone has any other ideas to check?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Oh, and I've connected ethernet directly between my desk pc and the plc...

First let's get some of the very basic Ethernet and TCP/IP stuff figured out.

Are you familiar with Static versus Dynamic IP addressing, and do you know which method your PC uses to configure its IP address ?

The way I use Wireshark to determine this sort of thing is to set my own PC's IP address to a static address, then connect to an unmanaged switch that is isolated from the corporate network. Then I unplug the logic controller from that switch, and plug it back in (or better yet, power cycle it).

This should cause the controller to send out what's called an ARP or "gratuitous ARP" packet. I can always tell an Allen-Bradley controller because it has a characteristic vendor ID as the first part of the MAC ID hardware identifier, and virtually all devices have their MAC ID listed on a label somewhere.

So start by figuring out how your PC's IP address is configured.

Ok...

I have the pc set up for static ip, and I'm trying the unmanaged switch/wireshark method now...I'll post what I find out

Ok...found the ip, now I just have to start working out how to pull information from the setup to use with an HMI... Thanks for the help!