Adding SLC 5/02 to Existing Network

tfed

I have added a SLC 5/02 that was standalone to an existing DH485 network using a 1747-AIC and it doesn't show up in my RSLinx configuration. Do I need to do something physical to the SLC 5/02 to set a node address or is that done automatically through the cabling?

Welcome to the Forum !

All nodes on the network need to have unique node addresses. SLC controllers default to Node 01, so it's likely that if you already have a Node 01 on the network this controller is conflicting with it.

What cable did you use to connect the SLC to the 1747-AIC ? The 1747-C10 is the usual cable, with the flat "AMP" connector on one end and the RJ45 connector on the other.

What other devices are on the network ?

The DH485 portion of the network is as follows:
CH A, DH-485
00, 1756-DH485/A
01, SLC-5/03, OCB083
02, PanelView, PV550
CH B, DH-485
03, 1756-DH485/A

I have added the SLC-5/02 to CH A and have used the 1747-C10 cable. What do I need to do to set the address of the SLC-5/02 and what address should it be? Thanks!

The DH485 node number of any SLC or MicroLogix controller is part of the user program, so you need to be able to go online with the SLC or download a program to it using RSLogix 500.

Based on the hypothesis that the SLC-5/02 is using the default Node 01 address, I would disconnect the SLC-5/03 from the network and re-browse to see if the 5/02 shows up.

Unfortunately I will not be able to physically be on-site again until next week. I can try to disconnec the SLC-5/03 then. If that works, do I change the address/node in Controller Properties? Do I set it to 03 or 04?

Unfortunately I will not be able to physically be on-site again until next week. I can try to disconnec the SLC-5/03 then. If that works, do I change the address/node in Controller Properties? Do I set it to 03 or 04?

No, under "Channel Configuration" See picture below. While you are at it make sure the baud rates are the same.

channelConfig.jpg

Thanks for your help so far. I have managed to get the SLC to show up in RSlinx as node 4, but when I try to go online it starts to connect but immediately comes back with a message "Communications loss to processor" with Go Offline or Retry as options. Any suggestions?

Whenever I've had this it is usually because of the network not being properly terminated.

See this manual section 9
http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1770-um022_-en-p.pdf

The far ends of the network are the only ones terminated. Also, you can't just install a node anywhere, it must be daisy chained.

If I remember correctly, you can select the termination on the 1747-AIC directly. Make sure the previous one (in the middle of the network but used to be the end) is no longer terminated.

I managed to get the SLC Online after cycling the power to the SLC. (Saw that tip in another post) We did move the termination to the new SLC, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Hopefully we stay online and don't have any issues in the future. Thanks again for all the help!!