Digital Output Triggered Simple Message Displays? (I hate old ****.)

Jeev

Hello all,

it seems I've been hand-balled a mystery box full of smoke and mirrors. My question is this:

Is there a message display with 100-150 messages I can pre-program and toggle on/off using some Digital Outputs from my PLC(BCD style)? A basic LCD or upward is all I'm after, but I've never actually seen one of these on the market and I'm trying not to have to make one from scratch.

Cheers,
Jeev.

P.S. Did I mention I hate old ****?

Doesn't look like they exist these days. Seems Parallel displays are difficult to find with that many messages on them :( So aside from that my alternative is something like an Eaton/Moeller MFD with a CPU and I/O expansion. Ah well, such is life.

Hello all,

it seems I've been hand-balled a mystery box full of smoke and mirrors. My question is this:

Is there a message display with 100-150 messages I can pre-program and toggle on/off using some Digital Outputs from my PLC(BCD style)? A basic LCD or upward is all I'm after, but I've never actually seen one of these on the market and I'm trying not to have to make one from scratch.

Cheers,
Jeev.

P.S. Did I mention I hate old ****?

Have a look at the following

http://www.london-electronics.com/messages_bcd_call.php

Its a BCD to RS485 Converter for text displays.
It may be what you are looking for??

Vorne has these. You can set it for either BCD or binary. The software (VDP-2100 for smaller displays) is free. I have not used the software for the larger displays.

www.vorne.com

I 2nd the Vorne displays. We replaced some old dataliners with them and they have a lot of nice features like built in RS-232 to RS-422/485 conversion if you decide to later switch to sending messages serially, plus they offer a very complete set of features for displaying embedded variables, flashing and scrolling text, etc.

Ausie uticor sales are based in Sydney these days.
but not cheap
Don't know the Vorne type

Cheers all, I'll look into it on Monday. I got a quote today and I can get Unitronics M90 and M91 screens with built in I/O for $390 and $490 respectively.