Red Lion G306 to Replace a CTVue 306

BCT

Ok... I know these are basically the same entity. But, I am helping a client that is helping a client that purchased a G306 to replace a faulty CTVue. Here is the problem...

Control Techniques has canned specific driver setups for their devices and the port configurations are not displayed. My client was able to get the driver to talk to the CT devices, a Commander SK and a Unidrive SP both over Modbus TCP. He gets non-viable data back from the drives. I suggested he try swapping the word order but this gave no results. Barring tweaking all of the settings does someone here have the actual communication configuration that works for these drives on a Red Lion?

Thanks all,
Rick B.

Based on your comment about swapping words not working, I assume you are dealing with a 32-bit register. It has been a while, but I believe they use a dynamic mapping scheme for their 32-bit registers. Where the Modbus registers you need to read vary based on which one you start with. The easiest work around is to set the Frame Register Limit for function code 03 (Read Holding Registers) to 2, so that we never try to read more than 2 at a time, which will make us only read a single 32-bit register which will have a known address.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks Dan,

So dynamic mapping.... sounds like the issue I had with Cognex and Red Lion several years ago.

For this app I have gone through the back door to fix. I will work on it more in detail to assure I can do this at the Modbus driver level in the future.

BTW You guys are a little bit sneaky.

I've used Crimson, to communicate with a Unidrive SP for some of our servo system parameters. For the Unidrive SP, I used document CTAN #262 for 32 bit registers.

I did not swap words and the only non-default frame limit is for Code 03 to 1 Word (I'm only using code 04 so I'm not sure why this is different)

Menu 20.21 = 418405.Long for a 32 bit register.