PF 400 Input Phase Loss

How do I disable a PF 400 drive from having an input phase loss fault (F17). We have a few drives that are converting single to three phase and are undersized resulting in this fault quite often.

Explain in more detail.

The PowerFlex 400 can run on single-phase input but you have to de-rate them to 35% of their ordinary capacity. Is this what you mean by "undersized" ?

PowerFlex 400's prior to v6 firmware would fault on F03, and v6.x drives will fault on F17, if they are overloaded and the ripple on the DC bus caused by the single-phase input becomes too much. In a v6.x drive, you can actually read the ripple measurement in parameter d329.

There is no way I know about to "disable" this; the drive simply has a limit to how well it can run on single-phase input. If you need more amps than 35% of the rated amps of the drive, you need a bigger drive or you need to provide three-phase input power.

Last edited:
Be sure to observe the derating requirements and the proper wiring. Some of the units require that single-phase power be applied to specific terminals.

The Drive was derated around 40-50% to account for single phase to three phase conversion which is why it is probably getting the F17 fault when it runs at 60 hz. It should have followed the standard 35%, but that's too late as it is installed.

Currently we keep it around 56-58 hz or so to keep it from becoming "saturated". An Allen Bradley rep mentioned to me yesterday we can disable the fault which may cause more ripple but would keep the drive out of the F17 fault. Is this correct and if not does anyone have any alternate suggestions?