Cylce a sequence of events

NortecDesign

I am new to programming. I am trying to figure out how to cycle my sequence of events for a number of times. I have 2 cylinders that I have been able to sequence as follows: Cyl A activate, Cyl B activate, Cyl A deactivate, Cyl B deactivate. All happen with timers to delay the next operation to ensure full travel of the cylinders. I've gotton that far. How do I make that happen again and again?

I am new to programming. I am trying to figure out how to cycle my sequence of events for a number of times. I have 2 cylinders that I have been able to sequence as follows: Cyl A activate, Cyl B activate, Cyl A deactivate, Cyl B deactivate. All happen with timers to delay the next operation to ensure full travel of the cylinders. I've gotton that far. How do I make that happen again and again?

The same way how do you initiate the first run.
Give a hint what system do you use

To expand slightly on what Switek said, you want additional logic that "captures" that the sequence has started and then that the sequence has completed. Use this completed info as a "restart" command.

Steve

Homework?

We don't do your homework for you, but we will help you if you show us what you've got so far. Someday you will be our coworker and we want you to be competent. If we do it for you then you don't learn anything.

When developing a program like this write it out step by step.
Step 1: Operator pushes start button.
Step2: Cylinder A activates - start timer
Step 3: Wait for timer to be done.
Step 4: ....
Step X: Go back to Step 2.

you get the idea. Once you write it assign some addresses to the timers and then write out what triggers one step to be done and the next one to start. For example, write "Step 3 is done when the timer is done." and "Step 4 starts when the timer is done." It seems verbose but this kind of rigor helps develop the kind of sequential thinking needed to solve this kind of problem. As you get better you'll find you won't need to write it out to quite so much detail.

Can you show us what you have so far? Either a sketch or the actual PLC program file.

Also, which PLC are you using?

Last edited:
Hey, I was able to get it working using the timer method that you suggested. Before, I was trying to sequence everything by using the states that the different outputs were in. Was pulling my hair out.

By the way, I am using an Eaton/Cutler HMI with an out module controller. HMI0608BE operator panel and HMIEC0608 control module. Using their HMI software and ladder logic software for programming.

Having fun now!