Siemens CPU221 and HP laptop communication

isheunesu

Guys

Hope you will be able to help me out. I am not well versed in plcs and I want increase my knowledge in the field. So I recently bought a Siemens plc simulatorto learn how to program plcs. I have an HP625 laptop which came with Windows 7 professional. The Windows 7 could not run the Siemens software so I downloaded virtual windows XP from the Microsoft website. I then loaded the Siemens software and everthing was fine. When I made my first program I could not get the laptop to communicate with the processor. The processor is CPU221. If I check for the communication cable on My devices the laptop tells me that its working fine but when I try to connect the two it tells me that the USB cable is not connected or that the USB component is not . Guys can anyone help me out I am really stuck and do not know what to do. Its unfortunate i am not so well versed in both computers and plcs

Alois

this is what i have but evertime i double click to connect i get an error message asking to check address number or port and after a number of trials it tell me that the cable is not connected or the USB unit is not there

Here it is...

Thats is ONLY if you have a USB cable that will support it, there are several types of USB cables for the PPI and most use the COM port not the USB

In your device manager see what port your cable is using, if it is a COM port, then in the Window for the cable properties use the drop down arrow to select your COM port

See here http://www.plctrainer.net/SiemensUSBSetup.pdf

EDIT:
Just noticed the name.... Alois, your cable is NOT USB, click the drop down arrow and change it to the setting in your device mananger
Regards
Mark

Last edited:
Mark i am lost how do i do that. If my cable is not USB what is it. i also tried with another cable the last time i emailed you you got the same problem but this cable it works on the other laptop but its unfortunate i cant take the laptop out of the plant so that i can connect it to plc at home

Mark from the attachment u gave me i have noticed that i was looking at the wrong cable . the one you indicated is there on my laptop but it has a yellow escalamation mark indicating that it has no drivers. maybe i failed to load them or my cd does not have them. may you tell me how i go about loading the drivers.