unauthorized editing

rmonroe

R
Can a PLC program on a SCL 500 CPU 5/03 be protected from an unauthorized person from editing the machine program? The person would only be able to monitor the program for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks

rmonroe

Rotate that keyswitch all the way over to the RUN position and don't let the unauthorized guys get into the cabinet.

RSI also has a "Security Server" method for managing users permissions with RSLogix 500.

I prefer to just keep physical custody of the controller's keyswitch when I can. I once had a guy snap off the key inside a PLC-2 to prevent further meddling with the program !

You could also just give them access to RSLinx and RSLadder. Then they can only view the logic.

Barring that, offline right click on the ladder files and select properties. Then remove the check for "Allow Online Editing". Do that for each LAD file.

That would prevent EVERYONE from editing online, including you.

With the wonderful and helpful service that Rockwell serves up with their RSJunx you gotta pay extra for security software.

"With the wonderful and helpful service that Rockwell serves up...."

You had two Rockwell folks replying to that thread. Seems like pretty good service to me considering this is not a Rockwell sponsored forum. Some folks......

Lurker

RSLadder would do the trick.
RSLogix500 starter could be an alternative. This one can view online and edit ofline. It would still be possible to download an altered program though.

I would like to pick up Ken's idea about snapping the key inside the keyswitch: Install a padlockable bracket that covers the keyswitch, to disallow mode changes. Wont cost you much, only a little manual labor.