New guy needs help

CFL

Hey everyone. I'm an electrician trying to learn plc's. So far I have looked over a few websites, looked at Hugh Jack's book, and watched some videos, so I am obviously very new to this. I have, however had alot of experience in troubleshooting automated machinery, but rely on the manufacturer for support.

I've only just started to learn rslogix (micro starter lite, all I can afford) but I want to connect to my micrologix 1000 to see it work. I bought a cable from plccables.com (usb-1761-cbl-pm02) but I can't seem to connect. I realise that I'm getting ahead of myself, since I haven't even read a book on the subject, but please give me some advice. It will help motivate me to actually see a program running. Thanks.

I have installed RSLogix Micro Starter Lite and RSLinx Classic Lite.

I have watched Ron's videos on youtube. I would like to attend his classes.

You have to confire Linx to communicate with your processor. You need to add a serial communication driver (DF1)to Linx.

The main reason I decided to post on here, was that when I was searching past threads for answers I learned some cables won't work properly, or require a bit more work to get them configured?

You have to confire Linx to communicate with your processor. You need to add a serial communication driver (DF1)to Linx.

That's what i'm trying. I followed others' instructions, but when I hit autoconfigure I get "failed to find error checking mode, check all cables and switch settings".

I looked up the cable part number. It looks like a USB to serial to mini-din connector. It also looks like it came with a CD. It will work different then a normal DF1 setup. Look on the CD, it should tell you what driver to use. It should also tell you how to set it up onn the configure page.

George

I looked up the cable part number. It looks like a USB to serial to mini-din connector. It also looks like it came with a CD. It will work different then a normal DF1 setup. Look on the CD, it should tell you what driver to use. It should also tell you how to set it up onn the configure page.

George

Thanks, George. That's the cable but I didn't get a cd. I'm reading through the help topics on both rslogix and rslinx, hopefully I will stumble upon an answer.

Did you change the COM Port to the Com Port that your USB to Serial Adapter set up to in the RSLinx DF1 Driver? i.e. Com 3.

Stu....

Using a USB to serial adaptor is likely the issue with Autoconfigure.

I believe GIT has some online help with detailed instructions.

For the most accurate replies on this forum, please provide as much detail about your set up as possible, including but not limited to:

*Windows version
*Serial port make and model of adapter
*Software title and version (you did that)
*PLC part number and/or good description (you covered that)
*Communication cable (you did that too)
*Communication protocol (covered, DF1)

Fill in the first two parts we don't know, and have a look here:

http://www.plctrainer.net/SupportDownloads.htm

EDIT: The first link on that page of Mark's new and ever improving web-site (which was 1st in my Google search for "PLC trainer", by the way, nice job GiT!) has instructions for use witha real serial port. Further down the page is a link for using the USB-serial converter he sells, which may prove applicable for you:

http://www.plctrainer.net/USB_Install.pdf

EDIT: The above link goes into Automation Direct PLC software, not exactly what I thought I had found for you.o_O

Welcome to the forum!
Paul

Last edited:
If you are using a USB to serial converter you will have to find the Comm port selected by the serial converter. Ther are 2 ways to find this. The first and the simplest is the driver software used for the serial converter. I use Keyspan converters so I will use it in the following example.

Example 1:

Plug in the keyspan serial converter into the laptop and then plug the seril cable into the PLC (make sure the serial cable is plugged into the converter.
Next I fire up my Keyspan Assitant Software. The software tell me a certain Com prt is idol. This is the Com port number I will use in my auto config in RS Links.

I then fire up RS Links and go to config. I config a DF1 RS232 device. In the Com Port setting I use the number from my keyspan assisant. Then click Auto Configure.

Example2:

I do not have a Keyspan Assistant. I then go to my control panel. I go to my hardware manager(it is locaed in Systems). Inside my hardware manager it will show me what com ports are used. If the serial addaptor is pluged in it will show up along with the com port assigned to it. Once I have have this number I go go to RS Links and configure my device exactly like in example 1.

Kind of a pain the first time you use it but once you understand that all your serial adaptor is doing is creating a virtual serial port it starts to make sense.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I did not expect so much help. I'm very anxious to follow all the links and suggestions, but I'll have to wait till tomorrow (bedtime).

I'm so glad I found this site. I am having to teach myself this stuff and I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of information there is to take in. Alot of what I've read on this site and others is like another language.

Thanks for the welcome and forgive me if I ask the same ol' questions all the newbies ask. I'll get familiar with the forum quick though.(y)

Almost forgot, I'm using Windows Vista.