Small PLC system with 0-5vdc analog output

Postmark

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a project designing a high speed envelope feeder and need some help hunting down the right PLC for the job.

I have been using a IDEC Microsmart with a analog input/output module and small touchscreen.

Everything works great, but the price for all three components are out of price range for this product to sell down the line.

I only have 1 input which is a photocell for counting envelopes. I have 3 outputs for the BLDC motor control (start/stop, run/break, cw/ccw,) and then the analog output controls the speed of the motor by 0-5vdc. A HMI is necessary for batch count and motor speed settings.

We are hoping to get into the $300 range at a qty of 100 where as the IDEC system is currently about $700 at 100 units.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your response.

I actually bookmarked those exact two that you suggested yesterday before I left work. I was amazed how cheap the prices for them are.

Any flaws with these products that anyone knows of?

I actually bookmarked those exact two that you suggested yesterday before I left work. I was amazed how cheap the prices for them are.
Postmark,
The software is free for the Click, but there are some other things you will need, such as a power supply, cables, and maybe one or two copies of the manual. Even with something like the Click, you will have to plan carefully to come in under $300 per unit.

You could look at the Idec smart relay with the add on remote display, or Proface has a touchscreen and plc in one. I can't remember if it has a built in analog output though.

I have a co-worker who swears by the Rabbit controller. Has everything you need, for your price. You will have to use C, but for 100 units it will be worth it.

We are using some z-worlds made by rabbit. They were programed over ten years ago and are still in service. Its a robust little controller if you can just program is "C".

Postmark,
The software is free for the Click, but there are some other things you will need, such as a power supply, cables, and maybe one or two copies of the manual. Even with something like the Click, you will have to plan carefully to come in under $300 per unit.

I will take this into consideration, but our machine will have a custom wiring harness that will include the serial cables needed to connect everything. It will also already have a power supply being we are using a BLDC motor.

I do appreciate the suggestions for the "c" based PLC's, but I will be doing the programming for these and do not know enough C for it to be effective. The one thing I did like about the IDEC microsmart was there software was very intuitive. I am still working with them to find a cheaper solution.

Your motor power supply may not have the correct voltage output, or the proper cable connector, to allow connection to the Click PLC.

?why a PLC?
a simple potmeter 10 turn is very good.
the counter can be done by a simple digitdisplay.
and the run/stop must be with some pushbuttons.
or small switdches as they are inputs for the drive

IDEC Smart Relay with K2BM2 expansion module and remote panel mount display (FL1E-RD1)would cost $350-380 in 100 pc quantity. At that volume you could get software free.

i have used the click with the c-more micro in a water app. for a medium size city i think it has bee in use for about two years now with no problems it was easy to program and and both the programs are free