Micrologix 1100 beginner

rbautomacao

I'm starting at the PLC world. I've read a lot about however
I can't find any documents for clarify my doubts. What I want to do is simple: I only turn on a lamp when a condition is verified. However, how do I set the output from the PLC to be a bit? In the software shows an output of 16 bits (0 to 15). What should I do for this to work?

Any help is welcome and sorry for my english ..

The 'Learn PLCs' link at the top of this page provides a free introduction to PLCs. If instruction in English is not a problem I would recommend trying it.

One question remains ...

If i want to set a output just to turn on/off (bit) and when in the ladder diagram i put a coil to set this single bit output, doesnt matter what bit i set on my output ? Considering the output a word (16 bits) ? The plc automatically considers it ? How the plc knows that device connected to output is mapped with a determined bit ?

Sorry for the beginner question ... but i starting with it...

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Catalog number:1763-L-16BBB and just the base unit ...

The output numeration i understand, but what i dont understanding is how the plc knows that dertemined output bit is mapped with determined output device ?

For example, if i put O:0/1 as my output and connect a device to 0:0, how the plc make that connection ? I dont know if i was clear ..

Thanks for any help

Catalog number:1763-L-16BBB and just the base unit ...

The output numeration i understand, but what i dont understanding is how the plc knows that dertemined output bit is mapped with determined output device ?

For example, if i put O:0/1 as my output and connect a device to 0:0, how the plc make that connection ? I dont know if i was clear ..

Thanks for any help

The PLC has no information or idea what is connected to the Output, or even if there is anything connected. It just does what your Ladder Logic tell it to do. So, if the PLC Program Code solves to turn on Output O:0/0, then it will turn that Output on. It is up to you, or whoever designs the System to make the decision for what is connected to the Output.

Stu....

Allen Bradley numbers their inputs and output relative to their physical location. Let us look at the reference O:0/1

O - The letter "O" means Output - there could be inputs and outputs on one unit. An input would have an "I" at this position.

":" the separator

"0" the number zero - this refers to the physical 'slot' that the ouput is part of. If there is a slot zero then the Input or Output is on the same physical card as the CPU itself. Inputs or outputs on other cards in a rack would have progressively higher numbers in this position.

"/" The separator before the 'bit' designation

"1" This actually isn't the first output bit since Allen Bradley uses a zero based addressing. O:0/0 would be the very first output terminal.

Allen Bradley also uses other formats when a full word (like analog inputs and outputs) are being used. That is another complication in their Input/Output addressing. If you read carefully the manual for your PLC it will explain this addressing. I believe they have full documentation in various languages including Portuguese (these will have the letters "PT" near the end of their publication number). Check on their web site.

Last edited:
Ok,

But then what make the plc energize a output if I setting a single bit ? Here the RsLogix 500 shows the output like words (16 bits, O:0/0 - O:0/15). Now is when i making some confusion, if i want energize the output O:0, is enough i set a single bit for it ? Does't matter what bit (O:0/0 -> O:0/15) I'm setting ?

RsLogix 500 show to me only 4 outputs but the ml1100 has 6, is it right ?

Thanks

Now i understood...

I made some confusion with the word (16 bits...).

Now is all ok... thanks for all the replies ! Great forum !

An Output Coil OTE, OTL, OTU, etc refers to a single Bit, so you have to specify it to the Bit Level, or you will get an error.

O:0.0 is a 16 Bit Output Word which may or may not have a Physical Output associated with it.

O:0.0/00 is a single Output Point.

O:0.0/06 is a single Output Point.

Stu....