PLC Data Logging

Spartan10

I have a furnace system with a PLC and HMI communicating via Ethernet (I’m leaving out the type of PLC/HMI purposely). The HMI configuration and PLC program communicate and function properly. The customer needs to data log the ramp/soak heating process (i.e. temperatures). The heating sequence lasts a maximum of forty hours, with sampling about every ten minutes. I need to record about twenty values (integers or reals) per sample.

The customer has old existing systems where they data log to a disk local in the furnace control cabinet, and would like something similar. They record about a month’s worth of data on the disk before changing. I have not seen this system, but this is what I was told.

Here’s what I’d like to do if possible:

• Have a stand-alone data logger that can work with most any PLC (and is relatively inexpensive - $1000 or less). I would assume this device would have its own software to accommodate each type of PLC.
  • Open an archive when the heating sequence starts (controlled by PLC trigger bit), and data log temperatures from PLC registers until it completes, then close the archive (i.e. have separate archive files for each heating sequence).
  • Have the archive record data which can be viewed via Excel spreadsheet (any suggestions, CSV file?).
  • Have data recorded on a local storage device (maybe CF or USB storage device).
  • Perhaps have feedback to know if the storage device is connected (not a requirement).
Can anyone tell me if this is possible (whether completely or partially), and where to look for information to incorporate this into my system? If this is not possible, can anyone give me some suggestions based on the parameters of the system I described?

Thanks.

Pretty sure a Red Lion DSPSX would do that fine, since you've left out the PLC/ HMI manufacturer I can't promise ut ould communicate but Red Lion's list of driver is pretty extensive. The Red Lion's can datalog to CompactFlash as CSV files, though I can't tell you for sure how much data they can hold.

In fact, you're description sounds like its intentionally aimed at the Red Lion?

Thanks. Checked out the DSPSX and it looks like it should do the job. I left out the PLC/HMI manufacturer because we us a lot of different types, and we would like to see if we could standardize on one data log means. The PLC I'm using is a GE 90-30 with a Quickpanel View HMI, but we use a lot of Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Mitsubishi, etc.

We rarely use GE, so in this case maybe I should see what data logging means I can use with their HMI.

As said you can do data logging via the hmi with cf cards and in some manufacturers cases log data to usb flash drives, making it very cheap and no extra equiptment needed. The amount of data you are logging depends on the size of disk you are using. Again with hmi you can trigger an event to start logging and another event to stop logging data. And yes alot of manufacturers can log data to csv files

WAGO Ethernet PLC's can communicate directly to a MySQL database for data logging. This is a very simple and cost effective solution, given that MySQL is open source software and you don't need an OPC server or Modbus driver. I have a video posted on my youtube channel that shows how to set it up.
http://youtu.be/0isTiU06bbA

It is also possible to log data to an SD card using a WAGO 750-880, which can hold up to 8GB locally. This way if the network goes down, that saved data can be inserted into the database when the network is restored.

If you dont want to use a mySQL database, the PLC also has an ftp client, so it can ftp the csv files to a file server with more storage. A simple NAS will do, something like this: http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

Last edited:
SCADA_Dude - cool video. That is slick that the WAGO PLC can natively log to MySQL.

@OP - at $1000 you can use the Ignition "SQL bridge limited", which will log data from supported PLCs (AB family, Modbus, Siemens) to pretty much any kind of SQL database that you might want to (MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc).

http://www.inductiveautomation.com/pricing/comparison

Kepserver V5.xx will log data to many DB's i.e. access, sql etc.
It has support for most common plc's and will log data directly using functions like time on data change or another tag.
It's easy to use & you can download a full version that runs for 2 hours for testing, you have to buy the drivers at about £500.00 a time but if you were using more than one driver then there could be a discount.
It is a very stable OPC server I have used V4.xx for many years with no problems & at the moment trialing V5.xx with logging support.

WAGO Ethernet PLC's can communicate directly to a MySQL database for data logging. This is a very simple and cost effective solution, given that MySQL is open source software and you don't need an OPC server or Modbus driver. I have a video posted on my youtube channel that shows how to set it up.
http://youtu.be/0isTiU06bbA

It is also possible to log data to an SD card using a WAGO 750-880, which can hold up to 8GB locally. This way if the network goes down, that saved data can be inserted into the database when the network is restored.

If you dont want to use a mySQL database, the PLC also has an ftp client, so it can ftp the csv files to a file server with more storage. A simple NAS will do, something like this: http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

Hi, maby anyone try connect to mysql with ABB AC 500 PLC ?
Anyone now where i ca nfind lib for abb plc ?