Going online with PLC-5/40

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I'm in a bit of a pickle and hope someone here can help. I'm trying to go online with a plc-5/40 processor that just had a stack over flow alarm so I can only connect through serial port. My old laptop gave up the ghost last week and my new one has no serial port. I have a 1747-UIC that I'm trying to use but am not sure how I can make this work, using the USB from the 1747-UIC connected to the computer and RS-232 connector on the 1747-UIC that is from an Allen Bradley PM02 cable that will connect to the processor using its 9-pin mini din port. I don't want to try this until I'm absolutely sure it wont hurt the processor nor the laptop. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

And the 1747-UIC is exclusively for DH485 protocol, which none of the ports on the PLC-5/40 support.

Ideally you need a general-purpose USB/RS232 converter. My very strong preference is the Keyspan USA-19HS.