DL250 & Red Lion G306A problem

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer of mine has been called into a job where there is a DL250 communicating with a Red Lion G306A screen. The screen was 'flashing' on and off indicating either a power problem or a comms problem.
He sucked the program out of the screen, downloaded it tro the new screen, replaced the screen to no avail. The buttons on the screen to turn things on or off are black indicating to me a comms problem.
The set up in the screen for comms is PLC Direct Koyo K Sequence, 9600, 8, 1, odd. I presume the comms setting ar`e downloaded automatically by Crimson 2 when the download takes place.
I also have the program from the DL250 and I am trying to find where the comms settings are for the RJ port.
I am not familiar with either the PLC, the screen or either sets of software.
Have had a look at Crimson 2 before and did not like it - just having a bit of a look at DS5 at the moment through necessity.
Can anyone give me some help as the where the comms settings are in the DL software and perhaps what the comms problem may be?

Hello

You can access the manual in the link below and check pages 3-7 / 3-8 in chapter 3. Comport 1 is fixed.

The operating parameters for Port 1 on the DL250–1 and DL260 CPU are fixed. This
applies to the DL250 as well.
• 6-pin female modular (RJ12 phone jack) type connector
• K–sequence protocol (slave only)

DirectNET (slave only)

• Modbus RTU (slave only)
• RS-232, 9600 baud
• Connect to

DirectSOFT, D2–HPP, DV1000 or DirectNET master

• 8 data bits, one start, one stop
• Asynchronous, Half–duplex, DTE
• Odd parity

But comport 2 can be accessed​

In DirectSOFT, choose the PLC menu, then Setup, then “Secondary Comm Port”.

Have A Good Day
Tom​

Last edited:
Here are some of the primary how to steps to establish comms with the PLC. Using the DS5 program Software, Click on DSLaunch , then Click on the DirectSOFT32 Program, then Click on the New Project box, then Click on DL-250 plc in Type box, Type in a project name in the New Project Name box, then Click on PLC tab, then Click on Connect box, a Select Link box pops up, Click on Add button or Link Editor button, follow the choices from there. I cant help you on the Crimson 2, sorry.

Last edited:
Bob,

Usually the flashing you see is due to a Tag in the HMI not existing in the PLC. Check all of the mapings of the tags and double make sure that they exist in the PLC.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Oh don't you hate it!
Fixed and then played up again.
Went there myself and the switch mode power supply was turning itself on and off - that is what the 'flashing' was all about.
New switch mode fixed it!
Thanks for your help and sorry to waste your time.