Looking for good pot :)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

I have an application where we monitor a test machine's position with a 10k single-turn potentiometer - the classic volume knob variety. Nothing special there, but the machine is subjected to high levels of vibration in the testing process, which makes short work of the cheap dime-store pots we've used up to this point.

I'm shopping around for something more durable, preferably with a reinforced element and bearing-mounted shaft. I don't need something to last forever, but it would be nice to get more than a couple weeks out of it.

I'm hoping somebody here faced a potentiometer vibration issue, and can recommend a reliable company to do business with.

Thanks,

TM

you'll get what you pay for -
RS components have a number of ranges
also look for a vernier knob with lock
Alternative modify control to analogue smart relay or PLC.

How about remote mounting the pot? If it is a machine that stays in your shop, you could make that a permanent change. If you are building and testing a machine for a customer, I should imagine you could test everything else while the pot is remote mounted and then move it to its final position after all the vibration stuff is done.

Steve

D'oh! RD is exactly right - it's been alot of years since school.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This test rig shakes to death as a side effect of what is being tested. I'm not at liberty to divulge, but as I've stated before, I am employed by a worldwide manufacturer of power tools. Steve suggested a remote pot, and I was looking at a string pot, but the design of the rig makes this tricky.

When I took one of the failed pots apart, I noted it was a real tinker-toy. I take that back - I like tinker-toys, this thing was just cheap junk. So hopefully a more robust pot will take the abuse better. Like I said, I don't care if I have to replace it periodically (it's for in-house use), just not weekly.

I did take note of two votes for honeywell products, so I will resume my search with those links.

Thanks to all!

TM

Last edited:
Hi again,

Checking into the options discussed. I'm trying to avoid any electronic device like a digital pot, since I think the vibration would long-term shake the components right out of it.

I checked out several resources on the web about the best pot material for dealing with vibration. The highest mark I found was metal film, but I can't locate that in a potentiometer - mainly used for basic resistors, it seems. I did follow LadderLogic's link to Bourns, and their Hybritron product looks interesting (a wire-wound element coated with a layer of conductive polymer to make the resistance changes smoother) but I couldn't find anything about it's vibration resistance.

Still searching. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

TM

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

TM
Funny, my first thought was not of the 5 leaves plant but of the electronic thingy dingy you are looking for. I guess I qualify as geek.

I wonder if anyone makes a mini resolver for panel mounting. Those are used a lot on motors that need a rugged feedback. I don't have Internet besides my phone for a few days so an extensive search is out for me.

I had some issues with vibration and speed pots. I was using the cheap ones too....switched to Allen Bradley panel mounted pots, (standard 30.5mm switches) and haven't had an issue yet...knock on wood :)

Dave

go for optical, it will withstand any vibration, and as you want it cheap even an old mouse will do, find an serial mouse and put the counts in a counter.

oh sorry it is just single turn.
make one yourself with a perspexdisc a marker and a light and LDR.
you will need a little experimentation on how far the marker has to black the disc up but it is vibration proof.
use a small capacitor on the output to get a nice signal.
you could do the same on yours (maybe the vibration is not big enough to lift the runner.