EthernetIP and Panel View Plus 600

Paul Reed

Hi
I am having issues connecting to a panel view plus 600 via 16 port ethernet switch. I have several devices connected through this switch and have removed all of them in the process of trying to connect to this panel view. I have a 1769-l32e compact logix processor connected also and have no issues connecting to it through this switch at all works great. I have used rslinx and it shows up as a unrecognized device but can not upload download anything to it. I havnt tried to connect any of my other devices yet so i dont know if they will work either, I tried pinging it and no packets are returned. pinging my pc and the plc returns packets fine. Im Lost PLEASE Help.
šŸ™ƒ

Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum.

First, you need to verify that your computer and the PanelView are configured with compatible IP network addresses and get PING working. Until PING works, nothing else will.

On your computer, open up a Command prompt and simply type "ipconfig". That will show you for certain the IP address of your PC.

On the PanelView Plus terminal, use the onboard menus to access the Ethernet network configuration screens. Type in an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway that are appropriate for your network.

If I am building a small privately-networked control system, I always use the classic "Class C" network addresses: 192.168.1.2 for the PLC, 192.168.1.3 for the operator interface, then 192.168.1.4,5,6 for the I/O racks or motion controllers, and 192.168.1.254 for my computer. I try to leave 192.168.1.1 open for a future router (the "default gateway" address).

Once you get a valid and compatible IP address into the PanelView Plus terminal, you can work on getting RSLinx Enterprise configured.

Remember that "good old RSLinx" Classic can "see" a PV+ terminal in both the older Ethernet Devices driver and the EtherNet/IP driver, but that's as far as it goes. RSLinx Classic is not used to upload/download or otherwise communicate with a PanelView Plus at all.

RSLinx Enterprise, the data server that is bundled with FactoryTalk View Studio and configured from inside FTView Studio, is the software you need to configure to upload and download from the PV+ terminal, and it is the software that you will configure to allow FTView Studio and the PV+ terminal to communicate with the PLCs in your project.

There are good "Getting Results" documents for RSLinx Enterprise and FactoryTalk View Studio ME that are installed along with FTView Studio and are also available from the literature.rockwellautomation.com website.

You will find a lot of experienced and helpful folks here on the forum, as well as cantankerous, aloof bitheads. Sometimes the only thing that separates us is that first cup of coffee.

Welcome to the forum!

Now that you are welcomed, you need to elaborate...

- What are the IP addresses of the components?
- What are the subnet addresses?
- What is your configuration in RSLinx Enterprise in the PanelView?
- Can you run the PanelView application on your laptop and achieve communication?
- Can you ping the PanelView?
- Can the PanelView ping the PLC?
- Have you tried a direct connection using a crossover cable?
- Were you able to download the PV application to the PanelView over the network?

Ken beat me...looks like I need a bigger bottle of Mt. Dew to get me going....:p

I am using a class c network as Ken calls it. my addresses are all sequential 172.16.1.80 thru 87. And my subnet is 255.255.255.0 And as I stated in my first post my computer and plc will ping but my panel view will not. I downloaded my app one time and have not communicated since. and no the panel view will not ping the plc. I am currently in the process of using a direct connect with a straight and a crossover still no luck.
Thanks for the quick replies and help!!!

Hi Guys Thanks for your help!! I got to the bottom of my issue. I figured all along it was my dumb as@# fault. It turns out that when I assigned the ip address I freakin fat fingered the address and used 182 instead of 172. Again Thanks for Your Help You Guys are Great!! Im sure I will be here again!!
:geek:

Lately I've been reading some of Vincent Bugliosi's commentaries on the rules of discovery in California criminal proceedings, and it's affecting how I read PLCTalk threads.

I downloaded my app one time and have not communicated since.

That is crucial information that leads to a straightforward repair.

The PV+ terminal has a Windows CE version of RSLinx Enterprise running on it. That manages the communications over Ethernet and serial and automation networks (like DH+) for communicating both with controllers and with FactoryTalk View Studio.

It is very likely that you deleted the EtherNet/IP protocol driver in the RSLinx Enterprise Runtime tab, then created a Runtime file and downloaded it. When you applied the new communications configuration on the terminal, it dutifully erased the EtherNet/IP driver, leaving the controller no way to communicate with FactoryTalk View Studio or with PLCs.

In the RSLinx Enterprise configuration menus on the PV+ terminal, there is a "reset to defaults" function. Do this and reboot the terminal, and it will be back to having a default EtherNet/IP driver and RS-232 driver.

This doesn't explain why you can't PING the terminal, though. PING is an operating system function and should not be affected by the absence of an application protocol driver.

Another important point about configuring the IP address in the PanelView terminal: do not use leading zeroes in any of the fields. That causes the terminal to interpret the value in Octal, not in Decimal. Make sure the address appears as "172.16.1.80", not "172.016.001.080"

Thanks Ken I figured it out now all I have to do is access the panel view and change the ip address! It seems as though I fat fingered it and put the wrong address in it!!