modifying old concept

Jose_Jalapeno

I'm trying to modify a traffic light program using only one timer and compare instructions. I maybe making this harder than it should be but i would really appreciate anybodies help and is my line of thought on the right track?

Traffic_light.jpg

Think about one complete cycle - the time from one light turning on - let's use the NS green - until the same light turns green again. The preset of your one timer will be at least as great or greater than this time.

Now - turn away from the PLC program. Write down a table - ok you can use a spreadsheet if you want.

The chosen light turning on is time zero.

Now the next change happens at time xxx (you fill it in). let's say you choosen 5.0 seconds

Then the next change happens at xxx + yyy. If you chose 5.0 seconds in the previous and 3.0 for this section then your total is 8.0.

Keep filling in increasing times.

Now, back to the PLC program.

You will make one rung for each of these times, comparing the accumulated value of the timer using a limit test (whether this is a Greater Than in Series with a Less Than depends on your PLC/Software.) Compare to the previous accumulated time and this sections accumulated time. Each True compare turn on a temporary relay. But it DOES NOT turn on an output!

Now, for each light, make a rung ending in just that light. Use the contact of the temporary relays used above (or contacts - in which case they will be in an OR - parallel branch - format.)

The final rung will detect the end time (using a Greater Than test) which resets the timer.

Thank you Mr. Bernie I realized that if i got one side working then i could get the other side. And when i realized how simple the answer was. I was kicking myself for not realizing it earlier lol.