multiple GE FANUC 9030

Hi Guys,

Just want to clarify some doubts in my mind regarding PLCs. I believe this is the right place for me to gather the right answers.
We got here 6 PLCs that are connected to each other.
Am I right of thinking that the type of connection we have here is something called "isolated network"? I observed that its like a transmit-receive data flow/sharing group of devices including the computers where the SCADA was located. I also saw an MSSQL (if im not mistaken) in the computers. Is MSSQL acts as the "manager"/"server" that is responsible for data sharing or its like a database of all the data? I am curious how did the data from all the PLCs were MERGE in the SCADA in the PCs.

Thats it for now, I hope this thread will be an active discussion

Thanks Guys!

Vryle,20,Ph

How are your PLC's and SCADA connected ? What type of SCADA ?
It is possible that what you have is a "isolated network" although that is not a term I am familiar with. Depending on the SCADA package that you are using MSSQL may serve different purposes, most of the SCADA's that I have dealt with will typically "talk" to the PLC's and then MSSQL will gather the data from the SCADA's and put it into a SQL database where the data can used /accessed by other software packages for reporting etc.

"Cimplicity Workbench" This indicates that your SCADA is Cimplicity HMI SCADA from GEIP.
This would typically use SQL to communicate to a database that stores information from the PLCs. In some cases the data exchange is both ways but it is generally not fast enough for anything other than to populate PLC variables in batch or recipe mode that are used by the PLC to run the process.
The protocol used also helps in defining the network used. It may be GE SRTP or GE EGD, or a combination of these, if it is older it may also include GE Genius communications. The first are standard Ethernet which can be isolated, Genius is proprietary high speed serial,not isolated. If there are non-GEIP devices involved other protocols may also be used.
There is much information on this at these locations:
GEIP support web site
GEIP User Forum

Last edited:
Hi Sir Russ Thank you! The original programmer used EGD for data sharing. so the SQL is the one responsible for the database of the variables in the PLCs? cause the operator load recipe/settings during change size of production. How about the merging of data/variables from all PLCs to go straight to the SCADA? do the SCADA already had a capability to gather all the variables within the networked PLCs?

so the SQL is the one responsible for the database of the variables in the PLCs? cause the operator load recipe/settings during change size of production.
Maybe but most likely it is used to directly manage the data on the PC not the PLC. You should check the SCADA documentation to be sure.

How about the merging of data/variables from all PLCs to go straight to the SCADA?
The data merging between PLC's is what EGD does best, but again you need to check documentation to know for sure how the developer used the different protocols as there are many ways to accomplish the same outcome.

do the SCADA already have a capability to gather all the variables within the networked PLCs?
Yes, Cimplicity HMI can communicate directly to the PLCs through Ethernet.

Please remember that there are many ways to get the same exchange of data accomplished, no one can tell exactly how it is done with out studying your system.