Red Lion G306 With MPI Option Card To S7-314

Pollard

Hi,

Previously, we have used Red Lion Kadet units connected to S7 300 compact series PLCs via the Helmholtz MPI adaptor. We have now changed to a G306 unit with the new MPI option card. I need to be able to connect the two together and still access the MPI bus via my USB/MPI adaptor for programming/monitoring. Can anyone suggest a suitable (off the shelf) cable for this or would it be possible to fabricate one in-house from brought in parts? I need to move on this pretty quick as the unit needs to be packed by Friday of this week!!:unsure:

Thanks

what cable and connectors have you used between PLC & MPI card?

can't you just use some bus cable with a piggyback connector on the PLC side for your Usb adaptor?

The MPI card is an internal option card for the Red Lion G306 HMI and presents a 9 pin D-sub female for the connection. If i am correct, I just need to use a 9 pin null modem cable from the card to the MPI interface of the PLC. Do I need any specific wiring for the piggyback connector is it a straight pin to pin connection?. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, I'm on a steep learning curve!!

The MPI card is an internal option card for the Red Lion G306 HMI and presents a 9 pin D-sub female for the connection. If i am correct, I just need to use a 9 pin null modem cable from the card to the MPI interface of the PLC. Do I need any specific wiring for the piggyback connector is it a straight pin to pin connection?. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, I'm on a steep learning curve!!

Right - i see what you mean now - its RS232 on the PLC side so a profibus connector wont work unfortunately.

Does your CPU only have an MPI Port?

No, it has an MPI and a DP (314C-DP). Is it possible to connect my USB PC adaptor via the DP interface for programming? I notice on the 9 pin D-sub connector of the interface that it is labelled MPI/DP. We don't currently utilise the DP of the CPU for any thing.

From Redlion Website.
The G3 series HMIs, which already offer advanced protocol conversion and data management, now also connect directly to MPI networks. With the release of this new card, users can quickly add MPI connectivity to any G3. The card is simply added to the expansion slot during installation.
If this is the case - then something like this will allow you to connect your USB adaptor.

a Connector similar to this on each end of standard Profibus cable will work.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-subminiature/4931970/

Check with Redlion first though!

No, it has an MPI and a DP (314C-DP). Is it possible to connect my USB PC adaptor via the DP interface for programming? I notice on the 9 pin D-sub connector of the interface that it is labelled MPI/DP. We don't currently utilise the DP of the CPU for any thing.
Set your PG/PC interface to PC adaptor/Profibus and as long as your DP port is configured your good to go.

I notice on the 9 pin D-sub connector of the interface that it is labelled MPI/DP. We don't currently utilise the DP of the CPU for any thing.
I would stick the HMI on the MPI/DP port and then use the LH MPI port for programming.