OT: Help with English language

paulB

English is not my native language, and I am looking for help finding right word.
If I have some variable and I would like to for this variable to be within certain limit? In other words:
what is the correct word for result of (high limit - current value) or (current value - low limit). Are Positive or high deviation and negative or low deviation correct words? It doesn't sound right to me. There is no context for this. These words will be just text labels for numeric inputs on HMI screen.

Thank you,

PaulB.

That is my problem. I do not want to use High limit/Maximum value or Low limit/Minimum value. I would like to identify bandwidth of my setpoint and calculate maximum and minimum values based on that bandwidth.

PaulB.

I have a process where a "CONTROL BAND" is defined. An algorithm may adjust the variable within the range V + CONTROL BAND and V - CONTROL BAND.

Is that what you are looking for?

In addition to "Control Band," you could use term a term such as "Operating Range" or "Control Range."

I believe a term with "band" in it would be the most appropriate.

Control Band or Range is good term. I would like to allow it to be assimetrical (range in positive direction does not have to be equial in negative direction).

Paul,

If you want to get technical, the mathematical definition of a range is:

Range = Max - Min

I believe using the term "band" you have a little more flexibility, arguably. Again, this is just semantics, and after all we are programmers, not English professors
:ROFLMAO:

However, with the term band you could say something like:

Upper Band

Lower Band

This way you can clearly separate the upper and lower limits. The word "Range" kind of lumps your limits onto one category (semantically).

This way your Upper Band and Lower Band can be different.

Additionally, your Upper and Lower bands and be Absolute or Relative (+ or - %)

Or, since the speed reference is moving between the max and the min, it would communicate more effectively to say "Remaining Upper Band" or "Remaining Lower Band". Or, how about "Remaining Range to Max" and "Remaining Range to Min".

I've seen the space from setpoint to max called "headroom" too but I don't have a term for the lower space. "Footroom" doesn't work!!

English is not my native language, and I am looking for help finding right word.
Paul, I am sure you realize that not every term in one language translates into a concise term in English.

What is your native language, and what are the correct words in your native language? Knowing that will make it easier to figure out the closest English equivalent.

What is the correct word for result of (high limit - current value) or (current value - low limit).
I do not know of single English words that describes these two concepts AS YOU HAVE DESCRIBED. My closest eqivalents would be:

AMOUNT BELOW HIGH LIMIT
AMOUNT ABOVE LOW LIMIT

Last edited:
Paul,

When the value goes outside of your limits, you could that a high or low "Deviation Alarm" and name your bits on the HMI accordingly.

My native language is Russian. In my native language I,probably, give it names: "verhnyaya polosa", "niznyaya polosa". These words can be translated to suggested "Upper Band" "Lower Band". Most likely I will choose these term.

Thank you everybody.

PaulB.

My hunch would be to use "upper/lower variance".

Yes, I know this is mathematically incorrect usage; however, this usage has crept from the world of accounting into the world of engeneering and is being used all over.

Disclaimer: I am also not a native English speaker, so please caveat emptor... :)