slc 500's and communication with laptop

:) Hi everyone i am trying to get a laptop to communicate with AB slc 503, 504, 505, micro-logics 1100, and 1200 so far that I know of. Of course to find a new laptop with a 232 port is hard to find and expensive. I know they make a usb to 232 adapter but does it work with all the applications mentioned above? The IT guy that works here suggested a docking station that has various ports available. Has anyone tried using them and do they work well if so. I am only a couple of hours into a new programming job and would appreciate any suggestions.

The Keyspan USA-19HS will be appropriate for DF1 Full Duplex protocol connections over RS-232 wiring, which is 80% of what you'll do with those controllers.

The DH-485 protocol, though, might be used with the SLC-5/03 or some of the MicroLogix controllers. It has timing requirements that make it not work with general-purpose USB/RS232 converters. Rockwell Automation sells a USB/DH485 interface called the 1747-UIC that covers that specific network.

If you get into DH+ networking (the port on the SLC-5/04) you may need another interface for that network. Again, there's a USB/DH+ interface, called the 1784-U2DHP. I almost never connect directly to DH+ anymore, as I generally bridge to it from ControlLogix over Ethernet.

If you get into DH+ networking (the port on the SLC-5/04) you may need another interface for that network. Again, there's a USB/DH+ interface, called the 1784-U2DHP. I almost never connect directly to DH+ anymore, as I generally bridge to it from ControlLogix over Ethernet.

Ken,

I've seen you mention "bridging to DH+ through ControlLogix over Ethernet" on more than one occasion. What does that have to do with non ControlLogix installations where there is just a SLC 5/04 or PLC 5?

In some cases when you need wide area connectivity to an established DH+ network, it makes sense to use just a 1756 chassis with 1756-DHRIO and 1756-ENBT modules as a gateway.

This was the original functionality of the "ControlLogix Gateway" in 1997, and it's still used sometimes today in PLC-5 and SLC-5/04 populated facilities.

It's hardly a "laptop" solution like the 1784-U2DHP, but it's sometimes useful.

Thanks for the advice well appreciated. If I get the Keyspan USA-19hs will that plug and play on the laptop if everything is configured properly? Will I need to purchase anything else. I have always plugged directly to a serial port in the past.

Thanks for the advice well appreciated. If I get the Keyspan USA-19hs will that plug and play on the laptop if everything is configured properly? Will I need to purchase anything else. I have always plugged directly to a serial port in the past.

I have a Dell laptop with a built-in serial port and my Keyspan works better than the built-in port. Sometimes the built-in port will show a conflict in RSLinx and I have no idea what is using the port. So I mostly use the Keyspan. You do have to install a driver for the Keyspan but that's it.

A null-modem cable.

Thank you again. I had heard in the past that there was a card that had to be installed in addition from AB to make that work. That could be for something else or I maybe I just heard it wrong. We do not have any back-ups for any of the lines here and would like to get rolling on this ASASP to avoid future headaches since I had just started yesterday. Thanks again!

Thank you again. I had heard in the past that there was a card that had to be installed in addition from AB to make that work. That could be for something else or I maybe I just heard it wrong. We do not have any back-ups for any of the lines here and would like to get rolling on this ASASP to avoid future headaches since I had just started yesterday. Thanks again!

Maybe you are referring to the PCMK card that allowed connection to DH+ and DH-485 networks. You had to buy the card and special cables for each type of connection. We purchased a 1784-U2DHP and a 1747-UIC as Ken made reference to earlier to replace our PCMK. Newer laptops no longer have PCMCIA slots that the PCMK used.

Thank you RTA yes that is what I was refering to as I was just investigating a cable we had laying around that led me to exactly the same info you just gave me.