anyone know of a csv tool

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
that can find and replace text within a csv and save it as a new csv file?

I have about 400 csv files that I have to generate, and I have to find and replace the same text in each one.

so it would have to work like:

here is the number that I need to replace

then here is a list of new numbers

find and replace the number and save as a new file for each number in the list of new numbers.

Ill donate money to plcs if someone can find me something that will work!

I use Excel.

BTW, Excel autofill can generate sequential AB PLC addresses. Try this: Open a new excel spreadsheet. In cell A1 type I:01/00, in cell A2 type I:01/01. The first two cells set the pattern that Excel will use to create PLC addresses. Now select cell A1 and click drag to select both A1 and A2. Now hover your mouse in the lower right corner of cell A2. When the mouse pointer turns to a + click drag down through cell A16. Excel will auto-fill down, correctly creating PLC addresses I:01/00 through I:01/15.

At this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=113201&postcount=11 I attached an Excel spreadsheet template for creating CSV files for RSLogix500 PLCs. The template contains column headers and conditional formatting for field length. After all the addresses and comments are set up, simply delete the top row and save as a CSV file.

PS: You can also use Excel and Excel's auto-fill for quickly creating large numbers of similar rungs. Somewhere on the forum I have an example of using Excel to program something like 50 or 60 rungs in just a matter of few minutes - a search on my user name + Excel should find it.

I ended up hiring a guy on scriptlance to build it for me. he did a heck of a job. got it to me in less than 12 hours and for only 100 bucks.

Notepad++ is pretty powerful. I have used it a lot for comparing and editing, but I have not tried any of its automation yet. In your case, writing the code/macros to automate the process would be worthwhile with so many files.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Hello,
additional question on Notepad++. I changed from UEdit to notepad++ because it is really faster than UEdit which has nowadays like 1000 function to many for me :-(

The only thing I still miss in notepad++ (and where I still use UEdit) is sorting. I just cant find how to sort ....

Anybody knows ?

br
bb