Programing a analogh module

Hi to all,
Our maintenance manager wants me to write a simple program using a MicroLogix 1500 plc with a Compact I/O Analog module 1769-IF4 SER A REV 2. What he wantsis for me to write a program that opens and closes a contact from a level gauge using a 4-20 mA input to the analog module. He wants the contact to open at 9mA and to close at 11mA. I think we are using 5v power for the sensor. I do not have experience with analog inputs. Could someone please give me an example of how I could write this program. I like to learn and this is a good opertunity. Thank you all very much.

See sample program below. Not knowing your system I put the analog card in the first slot yours may be different.

To see how the card is configured click on I/O configuration-highlight the card and click on Adv Config.

Last edited:
I would check on the 5 VDC Supply for your Sensor. It sounds too low for a 4-20 mA Device.

Stu....

9ma to 11ma control

Hi Mickey,

I just try the progamme you posted here about "9ma to 11ma control" issue. This programme is so wonderful that even I don't believe it can work well at first.It's so simple, but not easy to understand. I try several ways to make new programme. But I am not satisfied with my solutions. Then I think about the topics again,what kind of control do we really want here? Finally, I understand this is a typical one point control with Deadband setting. Then I reprogram this. It works well. However my answer is exactly similiar with yours.

I am very interested in this topics because this is a very normal topics in the automation control area. We have a built-in PID in ML1400. But for one ponit and two ponit controls, we need to program them by ourself. You make this programme neat and efficient. Looks like you are a professional programmer.

I posted some questions here before. Some I still didn't get a good answer, such as how to debug ML1400 offline and online.Hope you can review my post and give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mickey,

I posted some questions here before. Some I still didn't get a good answer, such as how to debug ML1400 offline and online.Hope you can review my post and give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

I posted this on one of your other threads. After reviewing the offline program several times.

IMHO the only way to debug a program is to connect all inputs and outputs do a loop verification for all I/O ( test them all). Power up your system, make sure you know where the emergency stop is and make sure all personal are at a safe distance. Also have a fire extinguisher close by. Then put the processsor in the run mode and watch what happens.

Hi Mickey,
I appreciate your help, but I do not have winzip on my computer. Is there another way you could let me see the program? I have been around RsLogix 500 software, but have not done any programs using analog modules for the Slic500 or MicroLogix 1500 because the need never was there until now. I would like to learn more about using analog modules on programs. Is there a place on line where I could learn more about them? Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much.
I am new to analog programming and was wondering if I:1.0 means the .0 is for channe zero? If I wanted to add another analog 4-20mA input to control another sensor ,whould it be programmed as I:1.1? Sorry for the simple question, I just want to learn how to use analog module(s) on the MicroLogix 1500 PLC. I know that the MicroLogix uses inputs as I:0/0, I:0/1 etc. so the analog card added to it would be I:1.0, I:1.1, I:1.2 etc. depending on the card and scale used? :)

H

For the MicroLogix 1500 to reconize the add on analog module for programing it, how do I confuger it in RsLogix 500 softwer so I can write a program where it reconizes the new inputs? Thank you all.

For the MicroLogix 1500 to reconize the add on analog module for programing it, how do I confuger it in RsLogix 500 softwer so I can write a program where it reconizes the new inputs? Thank you all.

Click on I/O configuration-Find your module and click on it-Then highlight it and click on "Adv Config"-then configure the module as desired-click Apply/ok. See Picture below.

AddAnalogModule.jpg

Last edited: