PV+ 1000 Comm issues after Firmware Upgrade

dcooper33

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

I was asked to change some stuff on the Runtime Security of a couple of PV+ 1000's that run on two different extruders, which function mostly as user interface for temp. controls and monitoring of the winder safety devices.
One of the screens was running a runtime file that must have been <ver. 5.0, because when trying to restore the .mer in the 5.1 studio on the laptop, a message popped up saying (paraphrase) "runtime file created with a software version that does not support restoring runtime app". There was a .med file in HMI projects file of the same filename as the .mer file in question, and all the screens, tags, and comms looked the same, so I went ahead and made the changes needed and created a runtime file from that project, and, unfortunately, overwrote the original .mer file o_O

Then, when loading the file to the terminal, I noticed that the pv+ couldn't load the file, because it was running firmware 5.00.00.25. So I did a firmware upgrade to 5.10.00.09, and that went ok, but after restarting the terminal I ran into some comm problems.

The term. communicates with a PLC 5/20 on DH+, and that continues to work ok, the problem is with the Ethernet communication between the terminal and the Watlow EZ zone temp controllers. When I go to either of the screens that contain temp. controller tags, I get error messages saying something like (paraphrase again) "FactoryTalk: the object (Watlow.EZzone1.Setpoint) is no longer available". All the setpoint and temp. readout displays show "error"

The I.P. addresses are still there for each controller, and there is still a KEPServer OPC server in the project tree in the Studio.

I did notice in the HMI project folder for each project that there is a KEPServer folder in the the project that didn't need a firmware upgrade, but there isn't one in the other project folder.

Is this something that could have gotten lost when the project was imported from RSView 4.0 or whatever it was to FT View 5.1?

Sorry for the long-winded post, I've never worked with Kepware before, and never ran into a problem like this, and I wasn't sure what info would be relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Bmac

🍻

you might try and delete the communications link (on pv+) to the two devices..and associate the correct ip with the device id you had before.

you might try and delete the communications link (on pv+) to the two devices..and associate the correct ip with the device id you had before.

I'm sorry, I was unclear.

The two devices don't communicate with each other, they are two separate extrusion/winding lines, I just mention the one that worked as a contrast to the machine that I had to do the firmware upgrade on, and now isn't working.

The ip addresses on for the controllers on the line that isn't working are all correct, they did not change. I believe it's something in the server, but I could be wrong.

Just to get it straight.. you had before a shortcut setup in the runtime communications tab on the panelview to show/transmit data on the panelview from a remote device(ethernet)? And after the upgrade the PV+ will not "talk" to the device?

I'm not saying the ip changed on the remote device.. but that sometimes I've had to delete the shortcut and remake it exactly like it was, and download.

You've lost the KepServer Enterprise project, probably in two ways.

The KepServer project file (*.pfe) is stored in the *.mer file, but it doesn't sound like you recovered it properly when you did the MER restore workaround. Restoration of an actual *.apa archive might have done so.

Also remember that a firmware upgrade is a lot like installing a new OS on a computer: you have to reinstall all the applications too. When you run the PV+ firmware upgrade wizard, you have to select which KepServer drivers will be included in the firmware kit.

Find the *.pfe file, get the firmware loaded with the proper driver, and build a new Runtime.

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, I did not have an .apa file at my disposal, but I wondered the same thing.

When I did the fw upgrade, I used a compactflash card with the fw version on it, and the upgrade performed automatically. The only interaction it required from me was recalibrating the screen by touching the stylus in all four corners, and then pulling out the card when the upgrade was finished. Is there another way to upgrade that will allow you to select drivers, and customize settings, etc?

Also, in regards to the .pfe file, the other machine that is still working properly had a KEPserver folder in it's HMI project folder, but the .pfe file nested inside was just named "Default". Just for giggles, I tried copying the whole kepserver folder into the other project and then creating another .mer file, but it didn't help, still get the same error msgs. I'm guessing I will have to browse the hard drive on the company laptop to try and find the kepware software and a folder of .pfe files.

Thanks,
Bmac

Just to get it straight.. you had before a shortcut setup in the runtime communications tab on the panelview to show/transmit data on the panelview from a remote device(ethernet)? And after the upgrade the PV+ will not "talk" to the device?

Yes, that is correct. Actually, there are about 15 devices (heat controllers) that now won't talk to the PV+ via Ethernet.

You can firmware upgrade a PV+ either over a network connection or by creating a firmware upgrade CF card. I usually use the card because there's no risk of disconnection or data loss if you step on the Ethernet cord while pacing back and forth.

When you run the "FUW Wizard" to create the card for the specific firmware version and hardware model you're using, there is a step where you select non-Rockwell communications drivers. Usually you're only going to load one KepServer driver at a time, and that's where you would load the temperature controller driver.

Similarly, when you create a *.MER file, FTView Studio gathers up all the files and settings from FTView, RSLinx Enterprise, ActiveX controls, language files, KepServer configurations, etc and rolls them up into the compressed *.MER format.

Here's one of the tricky things: When you create the *.MER file, FactoryTalk View Studio determines which KepServer *.PFE file to use by looking at a registry entry that points to the "default path and file name" in KepServer. Whatever directory and filename is specified in that field in KepServer is the *.PFE file that it uses.

As far as I know, you can't create a FactoryTalk View Runtime that includes a KepServer driver unless KepServer Enterprise is also installed on the FTView Studio computer.

Because the standard filename was "default.pfe", in the early days of PanelView Plus there was a superstition that if you didn't name your file "default" that it wouldn't get transferred. That's not true, but the habit persists.

I always go check to be certain my "default path and file" in KepServer Enterprise actually are set to match the KepServer file I want loaded into the *.MER runtime.

Because the CF cards used by PV+ (and now the SD cards on PV+6) are so much bigger than required to hold the application, I like to put a lot of backup data on them: the *.APA itself, a copy of the PLC file, the KepServer file, a couple of user manuals, and a Readme file. It's like stashing goodies for myself to find years later.

Last edited:
Also, I know there were some version issues between FTView and KepServer that I didn't keep very good track of.

If you have FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0, for example, you can create Runtime files for any older version of PV+, from 3.2, 4.0, 5.0, 5.10 or 6.0.

But I don't think that is the case for KepServer Enterprise. I think the version of KepServer Enterprise on the development PC has to match the version running on the PV+ terminal.

RA Tech Support will know for sure.

You were right, Ken.

The CF card that I used for the FW upgrade came from a guy that handles the licensing and software upgrades for the plant. When he put the FUW on the card, he didn't add any KepServer drivers, because he mostly works on conversion machines, which don't use any watlow heat controllers, therefore he never needed any "non-rockwell" drivers on his touchscreens.

Anyway, we had to make a new CF card in FT Studio and add a Modbus Ethernet driver, and then dump the firmware into the terminal again. We did have to put a default .pfe file in the KepServer folder of the HMI project, but the main thing was getting the right driver in the panel.

After reading your post about creating your own CF upgrade card, I went on RA's website and watched the tutorial on how to do it, and it got me thinking that just because the firmware version # matches another screen, doesn't mean that everything's the same, you know? o_O

What I don't understand is why you can't go to your config screen on your terminal and see what drivers you have installed in the firmware. Seems like that'd be something you might wanna know, IMHO.

But all's well that ends well, and everybody here learned something today, and I got myself out of the hot water that I put myself in, so all in all a pretty good day, in my book.

So score another one for the wizards of the forum :geek:
Thanks again, fellas.
Cheers,
Bmac

🍻