Automation Experts

khab0501

I am looking for a device or some sort of mechanism to sense a magnet inside a plastic molded casing. The sensor should be able to tell me if there is a magnet present inside or if its broken. I was looking for a hall sensor but since it required an analog card which might be pricy for the job. I also want it incorporate it with PLC.
Thanks

Are you suggesting that you want to differentiate between the magnetic field produced by a broken and non-broken magnet inside a sealed area? Wow...

Perhaps a cylinder position switch, you would need to fabricate a way to mount it but it is small and inexpensive. Automation Direct sells them, I believe they are the CPS series.

-Dave

Are you suggesting that you want to differentiate between the magnetic field produced by a broken and non-broken magnet inside a sealed area? Wow...

magnetic flux is not important. I would just like to see whether the magnet is broken or not. I do have a mechanism where a ball sits in a pocket alongside the part being tested. It works good if done manually but just to speed up the process i wanted to have some sort of sensor to do it...

I guess you need to define "broken." If it's broken, does it still produce a magnetic field? Is this an electromagnet of some sort? If you just want to sense the presence of a magnet, any of the aforementioned suggestions would work as long as the plastic casing isn't too thick. It might take some trial and error.

If you mean like a bar magnet and it is broken across the magnet but the parts keep their original alignment and basically their proximity to one another I don't think the break could be detected externally by just measuring the magnetic field.

Try it with a small bar magnet. Before breaking place it under a piece of paper and scatter magnetic filings on top. Note the pattern.

Now break the magnet across but place the two pieces back together. They will atract. Do the same sheet and filings thing. You will probably note no difference. I think that at the break point all the lines of force would go directly across the break.

Is this a case where part of the broken magnet might be missing? If so then can you weigh the part? Go/No Go scales are easy to come by.

A little bit more information at this point might dramatically improve the quality of advice the forum members can give.

Detecting a magnet is one thing, but detecting if one is broken is going to require all the sensitivity you can find. Probably a hall-effect sensor that produces a 4-to-20 miliamp output connected to a PLC analog input card. Through many trials, determine if a broken magnet always produces a smaller output than a good magnet. In theory, it should have slightly smaller field. If the magnet is missing, this method should have no problem (analog input should be 4 mA).

I guess it will depend on the orientation of the magnet. Some directions will produce higher fields than others. You may have to turn the plastic molding in a certain direction to make broken-magnet detection possible.

Most likely, good magnets will produce analog signals all over the range, unless your magnets are precisely controlled field-wise.

Thank you all for your input I appreciate it a lot. I have learned a great deal from this website since my senior year in college. Now I have a good job ..thanks to people like you....
Regards

Last edited:
There are some pretty cheap smart relays with analog inputs. The Allen Bradley Pico or Eaton EZ Intelligent relay are very cheap but have 2 analog inputs (0-10 volts DC I think). You might get one of those to test out your method before spending a lot on more expensive equipment.