Connectors for Terminal blocks

Postmark

So we have a small mailing machine we are manufacturing and have chosen to use a Idec microsmart pentra and touch screen.

We are looking at building up to 300 of these a year and I am hoping there is a way to streamline the wiring on these so our assemblers don't need to look at a wire diagram every time and wouldn't need to hand wire them.

What I am looking for is some kind of male connector that can fit into a terminal block. Basically a wide plug with a bunch of pins sticking out that can be inserted into the terminal block and screwed down so I can have premade wiring harnesses made for our machine.

Any ideas? attached is a very detailed picture of what I am taking about (y)

Untitled.jpg

Yes, Phoenix connectors are common, and you can get them in all sorts of configurations, and you can always find them easy to work with in the field. I have put 14-pin connectors through a bandsaw to make three four pin plugs once. Their effective, tech friendly, and my favorite for controls interconnects.

I don't even know what the standard pin plugs are actually called, but there are variations on the spacing.

I found the connectors used by AMCI resolver cards, and A/B DH+ and almost everybody else, whatever the he|! that DIN number was it was un-improve-able IMHOO.

Man, I can't even find the one's I am thinking of in their vast selection without images...

Anyway, I will try to find a link to a picture...:yawn:
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is..._sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l18678l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

^^^ are for inside enclosures my favs,

and these are for low voltage panel to panel stuff:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...l=131842l133650l0l134264l7l6l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Last edited:
Thanks for the websites guys. I wasn't really able to find exactly what I was looking for though. I think the simplest and cheapest solution will just be to put pin terminals on the end of the wires and just have our wiring harness manufacture label them.

I did find something like this which was exactly what I was looking for, but I think that it is used for something else

0051242022.jpg

Oh well,

Thanks for your help!

Why not have the wire harness manufacturer put the terminal block plug on for you?

The problem is that the terminal blocks are non removable on the IDEC plc. They are not the plug in type. I am looking for a universal plug that can fit into to each of the terminal block holes and then just tighten down the screws.

here is a picture of it for reference.

IMG_20110804_153116.jpg

Got it. Your first picture showed what appears to be a removable terminal block plug.

In that case have your wire harness manufacturer put ferrules on the ends of the wires. Pre-installed ferrules will help with assembling the individual wires into the terminal strip.

The Omron ZEN starter kit includes a PCB meant to plug into the input terminal block on the ZEN. This PCB has a power connector and switches that are used to turn on the inputs. The PCB has a pin arrangement exactly like you are looking for and they line up exactly with the input terminal block. I'll have to check at work tomorrow to see if it is a single piece or a bunch of individual pins. Maybe I can find a part number.

Shawn

Okay, that thing is called a pin header.
http://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearch/drawings/AC/G800XXXXXXEU.pdf

You'd need to check the spacing of your terminal blocks. Seems the standard spacing sizes for pin headers are 2.54mm, 2mm and 1.27mm.

Last edited:
The Omron ZEN starter kit includes a PCB meant to plug into the input terminal block on the ZEN. This PCB has a power connector and switches that are used to turn on the inputs. The PCB has a pin arrangement exactly like you are looking for and they line up exactly with the input terminal block. I'll have to check at work tomorrow to see if it is a single piece or a bunch of individual pins. Maybe I can find a part number.

Shawn

Okay, that thing is called a pin header.
http://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearch/drawings/AC/G800XXXXXXEU.pdf

You'd need to check the spacing of your terminal blocks. Seems the standard spacing sizes for pin headers are 2.54mm, 2mm and 1.27mm.

Nice. Do you have a link to the types of connectors that mate with those?

IDEC makes a slim line PLC with MIL connectors that would give you the functionality you are looking for. Also a plugin PCB used to simulate the inputs that has a header on it like you want.