Pick-to-Light System

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
We've been looking at purchasing a "pick-to-light" system in our product storage cooler. After investigating the capabilities of several potential suppliers, I think we can do a better job in-house. The basic plan is this:

Export order details into a database
Write the data to a PLC (probably a SLC 5/05)
Select an order to pick using a large HMI - labels print after selection
HMIs located over every product in the order display the quantities to be picked for the order. Increment/decrement buttons allow picker to adjust quantity, if necessary
Picker presses a "picked" button when the item(s) have been picked, then moves to the next item
Upon completion of the order, the PLC sends quantities picked to the database

I'm looking at 6" C-More panels, although the Maple HMIs look nice, too. Color display is an absolute necessity.

The advice I'm looking for is:
  • How many panels can I use to communicate with the SLC? Maybe I have to use the "Connect though another panel" option? We'll need a minimum of 100 panels.
  • The environment is generally dry (non-condensing) and is always between 34 & 38F. This is within the stated operating range of the panels, but is there anything elese I should consider?
  • Are there other HMIs I should consider?
  • If communication issues are likely, is there another PLC you can recommend?
Any help would be much appreciated.

This sounds like an ideal application for RFID tags. If you're printing a pick ticket, why must you also display what to pick at each bin? With RFID, you would eliminate the need for increment/decrement buttons at each bin which would also keep your inventory more accurate as you are not relying on a picker to remember to press the buttons.

Shawn

I guess I should have given more details WRT product being picked - fluid milk in 13" sq. standard milk crates. Not really suited to RFID. All SKUs are located on either side of a 240' long floor conveyor, with varying amounts of room allocated for each product.\

We print pick sheets now, but a full 75% of the pickers' time is spent looking at the pick sheet. Product identification is sometimes an issue, especially with new employees.

We seldom have any shortages, so adjusting isn't normally an issue.

Lots of pickers, but only one order is picked at a time. Typically 4 or five pallets. Should take <5 minutes, but takes >20 now. Capital cost isn't a concern.

with that many panels I would love to have your budget.

Firstly all panels should have Ethernet capability - these can go back to an industrial hub/server
The PLC - can also be at the server.
you will also need a network interface to enable your database input.

At that stage you are probably better to contact Rockwell or Siemens directly - they have system engineers that can guide you.

When you talk about the interfacing to your system - you need to Scope this carefully or this will become a huge un-budgeted hole.

Although it isn't on the list of advice your looking for, after install and you have to maintain the PTL you'll wish someone mentioned this to you. As long as your looking at spending the money, why not go paperless with voice pick. From a maintenance standpoint, PTL and PITA - same thing. Reconfiguring slots for different allocations/sizes is going to be a pain.
Been voice pick for 1.5 years and definately not looking back.
There should be lots of used stuff out there if you do decide to go with PTL.
If you're picking from pallet thats roughly 100 locations, I didn't count the center egress areas on the even or odd sides and figured 12 pallet return slots, 6 per side. If individual, your looking at 300+ locations X # of tiers, depending on racking config.
You're going to have a huge lump on your forehead before it's over. Once your company sees you can do this you're hosed. Now they will expect you to tie it into this then that, then reconfig it, no wait, we're going to add on pints and 3 tiers of shelves. Shouldn't be a big deal to move the existing panelviews and add in 750 more? Oh and it needs to be done before the boss goes on vacation next month. Also the panel views are too much $ and we found a place we can get touchsreens from for 1/5 the price of the PV's. We aint sure what brand 诶吉艾勒豆贝尔维 these are but they look cool.
Here's an example of an FKI logistics setup. The faceplates on the shelving are on an rs485 network.
FKI.gif
Here's Siemens Dematic voice pick
http://www.dematic.com/com/Products/Pick-Put-Systems/Pick-by-Voice/page30942.htm

i have seen an older system like this - looked good.
Had issues with age of the buttons - have u had this?

Also difficult to replace - not friendly to maintenance - this may not be the same

Last edited:
Sounds like it was the identical one. Even new it was issues after issues. Usually simple, just enter test mode and rescan location. Sometimes it only required reseating the boards on the foil strips. Other times you wanted to plug the hub into 480 just to hear the Fzzzzzztt and see how much smoke it could make. Either way it was a pain and waste of man hours. Most of the calls to repair it were because they were blaming it for mispicks and shorts. Voice pick is the way to go, at least from a maintenance perspective. Now if they get mispicks, it's because they weren't listening.
Now when we reconfig shelves, it's simply a matter of ripping the cord out of the hub (y) then move the shelves around. No more reconfig, moving hubs and power supplies, run catV and install new TIMs etc. Just scan new location barcode and confirm slot label is correct and it's done. Best part is other than moving the shelves, the rest was passed off on the IT depatment. There's a learning curve for the bluetooth headsets and slot numbering system but they seem to adapt quickly.

or they could not speak the language

I am not a favorite of Membrane buttons (Foil)

Milk crate systems are very loud and @ 2~3 deg C a bit cold

Although it isn't on the list of advice your looking for, after install and you have to maintain the PTL you'll wish someone mentioned this to you. As long as your looking at spending the money, why not go paperless with voice pick. From a maintenance standpoint, PTL and PITA - same thing. Reconfiguring slots for different allocations/sizes is going to be a pain.
Been voice pick for 1.5 years and definately not looking back.
There should be lots of used stuff out there if you do decide to go with PTL.
If you're picking from pallet thats roughly 100 locations, I didn't count the center egress areas on the even or odd sides and figured 12 pallet return slots, 6 per side. If individual, your looking at 300+ locations X # of tiers, depending on racking config.
You're going to have a huge lump on your forehead before it's over. Once your company sees you can do this you're hosed. Now they will expect you to tie it into this then that, then reconfig it, no wait, we're going to add on pints and 3 tiers of shelves. Shouldn't be a big deal to move the existing panelviews and add in 750 more? Oh and it needs to be done before the boss goes on vacation next month. Also the panel views are too much $ and we found a place we can get touchsreens from for 1/5 the price of the PV's. We aint sure what brand 诶吉艾勒豆贝尔维 these are but they look cool.
Here's an example of an FKI logistics setup. The faceplates on the shelving are on an rs485 network.
View attachment 18501
Here's Siemens Dematic voice pick
http://www.dematic.com/com/Products/Pick-Put-Systems/Pick-by-Voice/page30942.htm

Thanks.

We've looked at voice pick, but it's not particularly well suited to this environment. From my observations, voice pick works great in a relatively quiet environment where there are many SKUs that aren't stored in the same place every day, or that are stored in multiple places. Typically, there is a bit of transit time between picks to allow the communication to occur. Our products are stored in the same area and there is no physical separation between products.