Siemens ET200S and Vision Systems

agrosse

I am fairly new at the programming world, but have begun to get a pretty solid understand of PLC's and its familiar Ladder Logic language. Anyways I have a machine that the customer wants to integrate camera's for a part checking system. I have the camera's being connected via Profinet IO and am just reaching out for help on where to begin on the programming aspect of it? I'm having a little bit of programmers block on a good starting point. I have all components set up just need to start giving them instructions. Any insight on the matter would be of great help!

Thanks

Andrew

please post the details of the camera
I am aware of the stand alone systems.
normally you train the camera and recieve digital signals back to the PLC
so you would tell the camera which part is running
what is the budget on the camera system - gives me an idea of what accuracey you seek.

The customer has called out a Dalsa BOA Smart Vision Camera w/ iNspect Vision Software.

Sequence of Operations on Machine:

1) Operator retrieves part and places in nest.
2) Part is locked in place.
3) Operator scans barcode on part to determine what version part is present.
4) Operator installs brackets into part.
5) Part verification by Dalsa Camera's.
6) Operator retrieves new barcode label from printer on machine and places on part and removes after unlocked from nest.

the camera's software is for a notebook
you train the camera to give outputs in certain conditions
there is a big learning curve for you
the PLC tells the camera to 'take' a sample
it compares and provides a return OK signal
for you to actually know what is happening your notebook or a suitable HMI needs to be present.
the actual training can be done by the PLC but to actually see the photo then as i mentionmed

there is 256MB storage for data - so not sure how many part variations are settable.

some of these cameras have an advanced excel like programming feature for OCR
there is a lot more in it
Book in to a suppliers training course they are usually free

right. i understand the software is for a notebook, it has been installed on mine and ready to program. My biggest question is how am i telling the PLC to retrieve the data from the camera and how am i telling the camera to send the okay signal through code in the PLC and code in the camera software? is this going to be more of MOVE or COPY command in ladder or am i better off using STL format in Siemens where i can load and transfer data around through memory locations in my PLC?

I am not sure but as it is profinet i assume you set the address trhen acces it throught the bit's - I/O of a word.
Not sure with this setup
Have you configured the Profinet in th HWconfig?

I have not used profinet before, but believe there should be a config for the camera to use (I,Q) inputs and outputs for the device.
is there any details in the HWconfig of in the camera manual.
I will look this up for you later