Program Testing Expectations

jedft

Just curious what amount of time your companies allot to PLC/HMI program testing? We build a lot of skid-type pumping systems usually 2-5 pumps doing booster control and such. Maybe 64 digital I/O and usually less than 8 Analog. Probably 10-15 HMI screens. We don't, however, ever have an identical system twice (control wise, or hardware) and there's almost always some devices that won't talk off the bat. In an ideal world I would love to have 3-4 days allotted for testing. This would also allow for a bit of R&D every once in a while. They expect this stuff to be done in 3-4 hours. They also have never had to do any of this stuff themselves. What's your opinion?

My best answer is - YOUR RIGHT.

the biggest problems occur when you don't expect it.
Supplier soft and firm ware upgrades.
engineering changes prior to testing.
i.e. Valve differences, sensor change

One of the programmers I know quotes 8 hrs and then an hourly rate from there

If a task is or could be scoped to the absolute maximum
it is possible to have a 3~4 hour setup period.
The bigest problem is the other engineer
- But it should also do ------
then the company complains and attempts to get you to change there project at your cost.
If you are not carefull - you'll be putting in extra input cards and new sensors -
the only way to avoid this is to cement the scope to your quotation or you will get burnt.

I dont know your situation but i build control panels and provide programing and have been doing so for quite some time. i try to alot 8 hrs for wiring issues and 8 hours for programing. sometimes this is to much and some to little.but in the long run over years it works out.buy this I mean i make good money i dont get rich my clients are happy I.m happy, and i get lots of return work. I dont advertise I.m not even the phone book. all my work is word of mouth. I dont sweat the little things, small changes. if the job goes over 8% I start to keep track of extras and charge for them. A good accounting program and timely data entry into it for job tracking is a must. it helps to know what your cost, proffit or loss is on every job. Make changes for you and yours teams productions. as every companies going to be different. Just My thought on it. Steve