In need of help please

Hi all, I am trying to communicate from my laptop (Dell intel core 2 processor with XP pro serv. pac. 3) to a slc 5/04 1747-L541. The line is interfaced with a AIC+ advanced interace converter 1761-net-aic. The existing processor is configured as so:

I/O Configuration
Driver: AB-KT-1
Processor Node: 15 (Slave to the Master)
Channel: 0
Baud: 19200
stop: 1
data: 8

The only cable I have to attemt to communicate with at the moment is the 232 null cable. I have attempted configuring with the following drivers so far, all with fail.

AB-DF1, DH+
AB UIC-1, DH485
DF1 Slave Driver

I have not had to deal with the AIC+ up until now and have been making attempts for 2 days now.🔨 At this point I am at a loss. Do I need a PMCI card for this particular set up? I just started this job a couple weeks ago and the company I'm working for is getting impatient as they all do. Could anyone please steer me in the right direction as for I am getting a little flustered.

Thank you

Take a step back. The 1761-NET-AIC shouldn't be involved in this connection at all.

You should have a 1747-CP3 or similar RS-232 cable connected directly between the 9-pinDSUB serial port on your computer to the 9-pin DSUB serial port on the SLC-5/04.

You don't have any of the hardware necessary to connect to the round 8-pin or three-terminal DH+ connectors on the SLC-/04.

The driver should be a DF1 Full Duplex driver, configured for SLC/MicroLogix device type and 19200/8/N/1/CRC serial settings.

That was exactly my first attemp at this as that is usually how I connect to 5/04's but RS Linx would not see the processor and told me to check the cables. I have not so far been able to get on any processors with the hardware that I have now. I tried using a 1747-pic for a 5/03 just now to see if the serial port is even working and the driver installation told me to stop immedeatly that it is not passed windows logo testing to verify the compatability with Windows XP.

Remain calm and figure out why the original configuration doesn't work.

I can think of several reasons why the SLC-5/04 connection won't work:

1. The SLC-5/04 Channel 0 serial port is configured for DH485, ASCII, Modbus, or something else that's not DF1 Full Duplex.

2. You have a damaged serial cable or damaged serial port.

3. There's something corrupted or incorrect in your RSLinx or Windows setup.

What you need is an SLC controller that you know for certain has a good serial port configured for the default Channel 0 settings, so that you can verify your cable and PC.

Do you have any spare controllers and chassis, that you could set to defaults ? Could your local RA distributor loan you one for a few minutes ?

I do have spares but they came from an auction and have not yet been tested. The cables and PIC also came from an auction so Im not curtain of any of them. But the fact that the driver is fussing about the Windows operating system leads me to belive that there is something corrupt with the OS. I just noticed that the logo on this laptop is Vista and they must have reformatted the hard drive and replaced with XP pro. There are alot of variables it can be due to the fact that everything they gave me is used from an auction. I do have a new cable comming in for a micro logix but it is not here yet. I did check the port diagnostic and it says that is ok.

I read somewhere XP pro serv. pac. 3 was an issue, Ken Roach would know more than me about this though.

Don't sweat the "Windows Logo Testing" thing with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver for DH485 networking. It barely works in Windows XPSP2 and requires a few tricks to make it work in Windows XPSP3. It doesn't work at all in Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

What you need is the DF1 Full Duplex driver, and a 1747-CP3 cable. Don't mess with anything else.

Determine what version of RSLinx Classic you are running. You'll probably want to download the current version 2.58. I've run it successfully in Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 with the DF1 Full Duplex driver both with built-in serial ports and with PCMCIA and USB serial ports.

Since you're dealing with a bunch of surplus hardware, you need to establish a procedure for determining its usability and documenting and labeling the tests you've run on each piece of equipment. That should be a fun Forum community project.

For now, you need to determine if the computer or cable is the problem, and for that there's no substitute for a known-good SLC-500 controller.

If I were in your shoes I would call your local RA distributor and ask for a ten-minute favor: all they have to do is default an SLC-5/0x controller and let you try to connect to it with your cable and your computer.

With one good controller, two computers, and two cables, you can definitely determine which of the devices is the problem.

I am having the same problem from a serial port to the Micrologix 1100

I am using a 1761-cbl-pm02, ser c .
I am not exactly sure when my autoconfigure for the df1 driver stopped working. But I do know over the past couple months I installed FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0
Update Rslinx 2.58.00.15 cpr9 sr4
and Rslogix 5000 v 19.01

I believe something is nopt working or configured properly with my com port. I have done some of the following which form other forums and thread have given some other success but NOT ME.

1. Reassigned com port i.e com4
2. Deleted from device manager reinstalled
3. tried different cable.
4. Made sure that Factory Talk View Studio didnt have a rs232 df1 driver being usesd by Rslinx enterprise.
I am the most suspicious about this one as I dont quite get the difference between Rslinx Classic and Rslinx Enterprise

When I open Factory Talk View Studio I see the communications tab has Rslinx Enterprise setup for communication (NOTE: There is no driver for serial setup under this)

My program files has a listing for Rslinx Clasic (with an icon that I can execute the software)

it has a lisitng for Rslinx Enterprise but no icon to open the software.

My guess is that they are integrated together somehow through Rslinx Classic and that FactoryTalk uses Rslinx Enterprise.

I NEED HELP PLEASE .
If there are any takers that have some advice or would like to work closer on this with me through email, screnshots and even remote desktop I would certainly thank the PLC gods.

NOTE: Although I am somewhat of an ammature at this, I have some in hoiuse support from some better gurus then me and they are stumped as well.

NOTE : The error message is : Failed to find the baud and parity!
Check all cables and switch settings.

The same thing is also happening on other Micrologix controllers as well just to eliminate that possibility.

Just something to try, I see you have already done some of this, just go back thru it step-by-step.
Start with the simple things first. Check the commport number by doing these things.
1. From the Start Menu -> Rt. Click MyComputer -> Click Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Ports. Verify what your CommPort number is.
Next set up the RSLinx.
2. Go to RSlinx icon down on the TaskBar, lower right side of the Desktop screen. Click -> Communications tab -> Configure Drivers -> Delete all Configured Drivers listed.
3. Click the drop down arrow on the Available Driver Types. Select RS232 DF1 devices, then Click Add New button. Click OK on popup box.
4.Configure Box comes up, Select Comm Port number to match what you found in step 1 above.
5. Still in Configure Box, Device drop down arrow, Select SLC CH0/Micro/Panelview. Click Auto Configure button. After trying the Auto Configure, it should say "Running" as well as the COM port number.

If that still doesnt work perhaps some other program has captured that ComPort, or your cable may be bad.

Note: Your cable number 1761-cbl-pm02 is the right cable number.
Here is a pinout of the cable if you would like to check it.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem from a serial port to the Micrologix 1100

I am using a 1761-cbl-pm02, ser c .
I am not exactly sure when my autoconfigure for the df1 driver stopped working. But I do know over the past couple months I installed FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0
Update Rslinx 2.58.00.15 cpr9 sr4
and Rslogix 5000 v 19.01

You are using the wrong software... You need RSLogix 500

jrwb4gbm said:
start with the simple things first.
:)

@geniusintraining,
I just thought that he had added the RS5000, not substituted it for the RS500, sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what was meant. :) By the way, maybe you can help him out if his cable is bad.

Last edited:
sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what was meant.

Boy thats the truth, this is one of the reasons I have back off of plctalk.net, my fingers would move faster then my mind and I would get too much **** from some of the people here and its just not worth it....

Just need a break every once in a while, I like helping people (the reason I started my business) but....

Also saw what you wrote and could not resist :D

Yep I can help with the cable :) Thanks!

Orange members with > 200 posts should have voting rights to be able to split a thread...break off the newbie, pat him on his little head, and start him his very own little new thread.

EDIT: I vote the new thread starts at post #8...sumbuddy dblcheck me.

Last edited:
Rs 232 and slc 5/05 communication issue

I am trying to connect AB SLC 5/05 PLC via RS 232 serial cable.

I found this error while auto configuration in RS LINX software...""Fail to find Baud and Parity , Check all cable and switch settings""

I tried USB to RS232 converter and i found this error while auto configuration " Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout ! Check all cables and configuration and try again "

Need help.....

Thanks