Lightning Damage

shawn_75

Spent this morning repairing an SLC 5/03 installation that suffered an apparent lightning strike. Three 1747-SN modules and three 1747-ASB modules later, all is well. I was surprised/impressed that there was no other damage. The ASB threw me for a little loop until I learned about DIP switch 8 in SW3 thanks to this site!! (y)

There have been an extra-large number of thunderstorms throughout the southeast US this year, with more to come. I suspect many plants will be looking for a copy of the NFPA Lightning Protection Manual.

Here is a diagram showing how to protect a 10-story building using the overhead grid method.

Last edited:
With the solar flare activity approaching a maximum within the next year, I will be blaming some weird things on that. As for lightning storms, luckily I have seen almost no damage at the couple of plants I've worked at.

I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will be replacing blown components within the next week or two.

Shawn I don't know where you are in Kentucky I am just outside of Louisville and we have had record rain and storms.
I have done several service calls on lighting strikes lately.

The most impressive lightning storm I've been in was in Hell's Canyon along the lower Salmon River in northern Idaho. It was like living inside a strobe light.

Therefore, Transtector of Hayden, ID is my strongly-favored lightning protection vendor for automation networks. Really excellent stuff.