Questions on plant floor marquee setup

Old No. 7

We have a customer that would like to have us provide marquees for about 20 pieces of equipment. Each piece would have some status indicators along with some process info that is getting pulled out of a PLC. They would like different colors to indicate the status of the equipment, but most of the marquees that I've seen only have three colors. I also thought about just using a couple of large industrial monitors and a dedicated PC controlling the marquees. One of my main concerns is the monitors lasting due to heat. The plant is probably 120 F or more during the summer.

Anyone do something like this before? Any suggestions on hardware?

For multiple messages, colors, etc. wouldn't a small HMI be better? You can get some pretty cheap from Automation Direct or RedLion. Cheap, Easily Programmed, etc.

I'd hate to be trapped by limitations of just a simple text display when they decide they want more than what it can provide.

They are looking for something that can be read from 50+ feet away, with one at each end of the building so I don't think a traditional HMI would work.

I have used a few of the RedLion Plant Floor Marquees. They only have 3 colors, but are easily programmed, and work well. You will need a Data Station Plus or Modular Controller to run them.