Omron to Sato printer

Donnie

Does anyone have an Omron example sending ASCII code to a Sato printer. I will be using RS232 communication. The PLC part number is CQM-H1-CPUP1. The Sato printer part number is M-84 Pro-3. Any Omron example would be helpful even if it is for another processor. I am more interested in the ASCII that the Sato printer needs. I am using CX Programmer.

I find that working with ASCII in a PLC to be a pain so I have a computer reading an A-B PLC-5 (via OPC) which then prints to my Sato printer. I could strip down the program and send it if you'd like. It's written in Delphi and requires an OPC driver.
As for the ASCII that the printer needs, you will find manuals at http://www.satoamerica.com/
Steve.

Thanks Steve. I am not trying to go down that path with the Delphi code just yet. I am still researching what it takes to directly input Ascii into the PLC program and send it to the printer.

I find that working with ASCII in a PLC to be a pain so I have a computer reading an A-B PLC-5 (via OPC) which then prints to my Sato printer. I could strip down the program and send it if you'd like. It's written in Delphi and requires an OPC driver.
As for the ASCII that the printer needs, you will find manuals at http://www.satoamerica.com/
Steve.

This is the TRUTH. It is an absolute pain! I am working on a project right now that has four SATO print heads. I'm sending ASCII commands. I don't find it to be reliable at all. The bigger problem is the string limitations of AB controllers. The ascii cards can send a MAX of 200 chars, so if your label is bigger than your pinky finger, you're screwed! I had to right a couple AOI's. One that takes the data for the label (up to 32 lines) and formats it for the string. The other AOI itterates through an array that the first array is filling out, then populates a 200 length custom string tag, always evaluating what it wants to put in the string before doing so. If adding the chars to the string puts the LEN over 200, I index to the next custom string tag.

Also, the SATO software is only worthwhile when using it to convert images to strings. The SATO manuals aren't very good either. The worst part of using ASCII with these printers is that there isn't really any good positive feedback.