Logix 5K Tag Replacement

No, they don't even give you the option of selecting it.

I'd be a little reluctant to do it online anyway. The problem is if an unintended tag existed that contained what you were searching and replacing it could result in a mess.

If you want it done online then the there is only the hard way.

You can online edit, to manually search and replace the tag. Be very careful with Program scope tags and which zones you are testing...I do so much online editing with RSLogix5, 500 that I am keyboard-quick at it, but RSLogix5000 does require much more attention to planning the transition, and more mousing around.

I just Right click on tag. Select Properties and rename tag. It will change thru out program. You can do this online. No problem.

highlight the tag name in program or select it in table. In the tag table you can just change the name in table and it will work.

I change tag names for multiple reasons. Mostly typo's or from hitting enter key to quick before change tag type. If I make a tag type error ie: DINT to STRING. I'll add a 1 to end of my tag name. It will change thru out program to tagname1. Then I will go to tag database and delete the original tagname and remake it with the correct tag type.
Once I have done that then go to tagname1 in program and remove the 1.
Then of course delete tagname1.

I change tag names for multiple reasons. Mostly typo's or from hitting enter key to quick before change tag type. If I make a tag type error ie: DINT to STRING. I'll add a 1 to end of my tag name. It will change thru out program to tagname1. Then I will go to tag database and delete the original tagname and remake it with the correct tag type.
Once I have done that then go to tagname1 in program and remove the 1.
Then of course delete tagname1.

You cannot change the "type" of an existing tag online and have it reflected in your code.

You can change the tag-name, as you suggested, and all your logic will reference the same tag by its new name.

You can then create a new tag, of the correct type, but your logic/code will not be looking at it, only the renamed old tag.

You must then edit all of your existing code that references the "bad" tag, to the new "good" tag.

Yes, it's a workable solution, but the effort involved depends on how many instances of the old tag there are to replace in the code. I just wonder how and why this situation can occur on a system that is already deployed in service, and has gone through testing, simulation, and customer acceptance ?

In my case, we are adding HMI's and tracking code to existing system over 30 years old. It was updated from PLC5 to RSLogix 5000. So we are add additional sub's for this purpose. I usally write code offline and paste in online program. Since you can not Import Tag Database online then you have to Ctrl+W for New Tags. Sometimes the Enter Key is struck to quickly and modification is required and Yes it will make you say bad things and is a pain in the ... But .... happens.

Yes, it's a workable solution, but the effort involved depends on how many instances of the old tag there are to replace in the code. I just wonder how and why this situation can occur on a system that is already deployed in service, and has gone through testing, simulation, and customer acceptance ?

Because once you start the commissioning process something ALWAYS changes?

Have you ever created a DINT tag, and realized that you needed it to be a REAL instead?

It is a workable solution, one that I have used at times because of the two items I have mentioned. The thing to be cautious of is if the tag is being scanned by RSLINX or other communication software to the HMI/SCADA system. You can break the comm software tag library that is created when it first starts up. Then you run into slow communications/broken communications.