vb.net to micrologix 1400 communications

Shop2011

I am using vb.net and am trying to communicate with a micrologix 1400 plc. I am using Netgear Logix to communicate. I used the same driver in the past to communicate with a Compact Logix controller. I am needing to know what the syntax for the communications is. Anyone have an example or can point me where to find an example. With the Compact system the syntax was ContolLogixTag.Name = "Some_Bit". I could read and right to that bit. Anyone have any ideas?

I watched the youtube video. Very informative. The only problem is that I don't have all of the controls that was shown in the video. The property PLCAddress is not available to me. Any reason why? I just have command buttons, labels, and text boxes. I am using Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

I have looked into this advanced HMI and it doesn't look like it will work for my application. I am reverting back to the Ingear driver but I still can't get it to work with the micrologix controller. Any Suggestions?

I watched the youtube video. Very informative. The only problem is that I don't have all of the controls that was shown in the video. The property PLCAddress is not available to me. Any reason why? I just have command buttons, labels, and text boxes. I am using Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

When you first open the application you need to build it. This will give you all the pre-build objects (gauges and such). These objects will have the PLCAddress property (now called PLCAddressValue I belive). It's only the custom AdvancedHMI objects that will have this property, not the default VB objects.

You also need to put the EthernetIPforSLCMicroComm driver onto the form and give it the IP Address of the PLC. Then you should just have to drop an object on the form, say a gauge, and give give it an address in PLCAddressValue. When you run it, it should talk.

(at least this worked for me with the CLX driver, I don't have a MicroLogix)

Last edited:
Hi... Can you teach me how to create a program from vb8 that reads and write to plc5 or plc500 without connecting rs232..??? i have a rslinx classic but i dont know how to link it to vb8... there are to many errors when i try to program it... Dim OpcServer As New RsiOPCAuto_OPCServer
Dim OpcGroup As RsiOPCAuto_OPCGroup
Dim OpcItem As RsiOPCAuto_OPCItem
Dim vItem As String = ""

Try
OpcServer.Connect("RSLinx Remote OPC Server", "192.168.195.128")

' Add this group to the shared topic
OpcGroup = OpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("INDEC")
OpcGroup.IsSubscribed = False
OpcGroup.IsActive = False
OpcGroup.UpdateRate = 250

OpcGroup.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "OPC_Test"
OpcGroup.OPCItems.AddItem("OPC_Bit001", 1)
OpcItem = OpcGroup.OPCItems.Item(1)

OpcItem.Read(2, vItem)

OpcItem = Nothing
OpcServer.OPCGroups.RemoveAll()
OpcGroup = Nothing
OpcServer.Disconnect()
OpcServer = Nothing

'Add and Error the list box
Catch ex As PlatformNotSupportedException
MsgBox("Error In Get Plc Data: " & ex.Message)
End Try

MsgBox(vItem)

it does not work....

the errors are

Error 1 Type 'RsiOPCAuto_OPCServer' is not defined.
Error 2 Type 'RsiOPCAuto_OPCGroup' is not defined.
Error 3 Type 'RsiOPCAuto_OPCItem' is not defined.

hope you can help me..thanks.....