How to display plc data on tv

Klausbird

Anyone know how production data is commonly displayed on a large tv screen? Compactlogix controller. Is there a way without using a pc?

Thanks,
Klaus

I don't know of any modern PLC based video drivers, so I think you are going to need some sort of "box" to read PLC data and produce a VGA or HDMI output.

The only options I've found so far are either using something like RedLion's Data Station Plus (which is a box with HMI software, but no monitor, and can be hooked up to a pc with a web browser) or Rockwell's FactoryTalk View software (which still needs a pc to simulate the HMI screens).

Only other idea was to possibly use something like the RedLion product and hook it up to a TV with a built in web browser (these tvs are now becoming available). Not sure if this is possible.

We do it here in 2 ways.

1st - We have a SIMON tv system around the patch that pulls data from various locations, one of which is web pages, we jsut display a webpage w/ the data(from SQL)

2nd - We used a thinclient designed to mount to the back of a monitor and instead mounted it to the back of the LCD TV. This loads up an Ignition application and displays data.

We have the HMI software write production data to an ACCESS database on a server using SQL. The server then generates production data reports and graphics in HTML. The data is displayed on large screens around the plant and accessible via browser. For machines without capable HMI software but e-net capable PLCs the PLC is polled by a VB app on the server which then makes the necessary SQL writes.